• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to play Oblivion using XBox Pad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ivy

Well im not sure... all i found is a Xpadder tool which may help but it cost me 10$ and i do have no security that it actually works. When its outdated i may have to get it another time, seems like the creator will get rich just because the idiocy of the PC devs is to high and they are unable to set a proper gamepad mode on many games.

Anyone know some better solution (prehaps free)?

I usualy play on consoles, and i like to play relaxed on a couch (with huge TV) so a pad suits me much better but PC games still comes with very inferior pad support... still a mess today it seems.

EDIT:
So far i found a partially working solution on http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/565651-how-to-get-the-360-controller-working-100/
But there is still many issues and it would only work using a pad emulator tool. Funnily enough, the Xbox360 version of Oblivion is working perfectly using a gameplad (else it would be fail), but the devs didnt feel the need to release the same pad support for PC, lazy bunch, seriously. They could have updated it on Steam any time they wish.

Now i still have some issues but at least the 2 sticks are working properly now.

So it looks like i need many hours to work the stuff out somehow, thats why i hate PCs for gaming because so much of work to get the stuff to work properly. Indeed there is much better graphics and performance but some day i truly wish i can just throw the game into the PC and get it to work instantly... in the way i would enjoy it to run, including full pad support. The pad been sold millions of times worldwide, so i dont get the problem supporting one of the most popular input devices nowadays (much more popular than a Joystick, which is funnily enough, properly supported.) Anyway, the Bethesda devs are well paid, so i dont get whats holding them back from implementing easy stuff (should be easy for someone of that skill).

Yes most PC gamers may now say "duh", but those are my view:

According to my view, a mouse is good for strategy games (rare nowadays) and for WoW, EVE or shooters. But for RPGs a pad is usualy the best deal and allows for unlimited moving of my body... the pad is wireless and i can use it at absolutly any position. So i dont get it why people still love mouse so much, a mouse is mainly for browsing in my eyes, most games are played with pad, i just love it.

It truly depends on the game but about 80% of all game works even better (and more relaxed) using a pad and the other 20% i simply play using a mouse. Some games such as Tera Online use a shared approach between Pad and KB, which can work great aswell. Its the most complicated input methods so far but after some learning curve works pretty well. I usualy always have 3 input devices close to me, mouse, pad and KB. Single Joystick is only truly useful for 3D space shooter, but those games are very rare (in 99% i have no need for and wont have one close to me).

In case of Oblivion, its made for single joystick combined with mouse input (and some KB too, but thats passive), however, its truly not easy to work with when not having a huge table in front of you (playing on a couch) and a pad using 2 stick is nearly as powerful with higher agility when it comes to its location.

When i use mouse i usualy use some sort of mini-mouse table to the right arm (and the KB is on my legs). Else it would not work any good on a couch... anyway, a pad is still more pleasant to use for relaxing and i dont see any drawback in input performance, it works very well. Not every game is in need of over 16 input functions, and usualy its not adding to complexity of the gameplay itself but just unnecessary complexity of input. Because some functions can be shared related to the situation, so the art of countless input entrys is truly over.

Last edited:
It doesn't work. There may be unofficial patches but when I tried to set up my 360 controller with the game it would not work. Even just having the pad plugged into the computer would glitch it out.

Works fine in Skyrim though.

Back