• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to reduce fan speed in my psu, connected with 4pin to motherboard.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kielbasa

Registered
hi,

I changed fan in my psu for Enermax uctb12p, and connected it to motherboard with 4pin.Anybody knows how am I able to reduce its speed now? cause it's working full speed and it's actually quite noisy..
In Easy Tune from Gigabyte I already solved how to tweak cpu fan speed, but I have no other option for other fans.

thanks

If the fan is connected to the mainboard it needs to be a 4-pin PWM fan to control the fan speed. 3-pin fans on the mian board just report speed but cannot be controleld and 4-pin molex fans need a separate fan controller.

BTW, did you say you replaced the PSU's fan? Or did you mean a case fan that is connected to a 4-pin molex from the PSU?

I replaced it.
I bought new Enermax, and conected it to the sys_fan1 socket on the motherboard.
So do I still need some separate controler? Cause cooler on my cpu is also 4 pin,and I can easily tweak the speed of its fan in the Easy Tune (motherboard program).

Giga boards only have ONE speed controllable fan, and thats your CPU. In the manual there isn't a word about controlling any other fan headers right? It's only rpm monitoring.

Your going to have to get a fan controller.

PSU brand makes me nervous for the OP... yikes...Not even in this list. If something goes awry with your system, the PSU is the first place I would look.

Seems like you are covered on the fan control question. ;)

Ummm....PSU (Power Supply Unit) fans can not be connected to the MB (Mother Board), Case fans can.

PSU:
6539253_box.gif

Case:
case_6256810_box.gif

So what fan is connected to the MB?

First of all: does it really matter what kind of Psu I have in this situation?
This is Highlander from Tracer so it wouldn't be know as a good one, but I've had it for 3 years without problems so far.

If its about fan - yes, I connected the exchanged fan from PSU through the cable to the motherboard. But whatever this fan was, either case fan, or from Psu, if I plug it into 4 pin socket on the mainboard, it's logical to be able to control it somehow, no?
If no, why there is 4 pin cable then?

First of all the only 4-pin molex that is on the main board is supposed to have the power supply plugged into it to provide extra power to the components such as the video cards. It is not a connection for you to plug a fan into.

Second, why would you take apart a power supply and change the fan in the first place?

I exchanged it to be more quiet..
I used standard fan plug, like this one, to connect it to sys_fan1 socket:

Attachments

• 4pin_connector_002.jpg
    4pin_connector_002.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 7,861
Can you hook the fan up to the connection inside the PSU; the same connection that the previous fan was hooked up to? It may be hard-wired and require some crimping or soldering.

That way the PSU would automatically control the fan speed.

Back