• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to reverse fan rotation (answer: you don't)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this damn zombie just doesnt want to stay dead!
there must be a powerful necromancer around!

Fans

Yeah I installed an aftermarket cooler (Artic Freezer Pro Rev 2) and it would only install one way fanwise in a small mid-tower OEM retail pc and that way was opposite of the exhaust fan and in close proximity to each other, so I have one pulling one way and the other pulling air the other way with a +- 2'' gap. I turned the exhaust around and it now intakes air so both are atleast going in the same direction, not the most ideal situation as the case is designed to pull air through and out the back and it warms the psu more than it use to. Going for a barebones next month on a HAF 912 case with a 990fx r2 and this workaround'll have to do.

y'all need to find something better to do than sweat people over reading and posting on an older post like I said info is info and it doesn't get old. Take the necro business and put it where the sun don't shine.

y'all need to find something better to do than sweat people over reading and posting on an older post like I said info is info and it doesn't get old. Take the necro business and put it where the sun don't shine.

:rolleyes:

Sooooo what are you doing, right now?

It confuses people when you necro a thread. They think the OP is still having the issue (ie, it's still relevant). While the information may still be useful, it can as easily be brought up in a search regardless of when the last post was made. And a post stating that it's an old thread makes those reading it realize it's old if they haven't checked the date already.

Making a post deriding those that point out that a thread has been necroed on a thirteen year old thread whose last post was five years ago is, in my opinion, more useless than a post saying "necro."

3 necros. I love it. As for reversing fan directions, Nihao Mike's observation that sensorless fans can be spun in the reverse direction is new information for me. This shows that a necro'd thread can be useful. Here I thought that since modern fans have PCB's and are electronic devices, they can't be reversed. I have some 2-wire fans. I'll try reversing them to so if they are sensorless.

You can buy fans that naturally spin the opposite from normal fans. Standard fans spin counterclockwise. But Arctic cage fans and some fans from EBM-Papst spin clockwise.

But thanks, nihaomike. You gave me something to try.

Swapping two wires to reverse a three phase motor has been common knowledge ever since the three phase motor was invented. (That also works on symmetrical two phase motors if you swap the right wires.) It's also how R/C motors and inverters don't have a CW or CCW version - direction is determined by wiring.

Note that virtually all PC fans have the inverter built in and are not easily disassembled, meaning that such a trick would not be easy to do. It's also mostly useless due to the fixed curve of the blades. On an interesting note, there are a few fans that can run backwards on command for dust reduction. With DSP motor drives, it's just a matter of adding a little code to implement it.

I saw a thread at AT recently. It also was necro'd 3 times. But the OP was a 10-year prediction, made in 2005. You can see why it was resurrected. But this one is even older. And Nihaomike has good stuff. Let the necro live. Perhaps we'll be posting in this thread in 2022.

For the most part necro'd threads are spammers or the clueless. A worthwhile necro is about as rare as unobtainium....

... looks like we found a piece of that rare stuff. Too bad it was brought up like it was...but at least it brought out good information. What luck!

After finding some dust bricks I thought to my self "could the cpu fans be reversed". The first Google result brought me to this splendid topic and gave me all the info I needed.

Thanks peeps 🤠

Just for funsies and out of boredom I've started butchering the old 120mm and I'm going to reverse them. I'll update you'll soonwhere within the next few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back