• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to set Asus M4A79T Deluxe RAM speed to 1600 MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Because ram is not a bottleneck in the system. You may see a FPS here or there, but it wouldn't prevent drops.

Test it to confirm. ;)

What would be the bottleneck in my system? It has always been the GPU (HD4800, HD6950), but since I got my HD 7970 I'm not sure if that is still the case. Is there an easy way to do a bottleneck analysis on a PC? To be specific the bottleneck when playing games, not video editing or heavy calculations etc.

What would I gain if I would add 4 GB of similar ram? Because it would be a relatively cheap upgrade.

If anything, at 1080p, I would say your CPU may be holding things back a bit. Try overclocking that.

If you are not using the ram you currently have already, adding more will not help in any way. However if you are close to the 4GB capacity and are paging out quite a bit, adding more would help. If you buy more ram, make sure it is the EXACT, same as what you have, not 'similar' as mixing and matching ram can cause instability. That out of the way, I would check your ram use during BF4 and see if it is maxed out and you are paging out. If so, go grab the exact same ram. If you cannot find it, scrap what you have (resell), and go 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz.

During playing BF4 around 90-95% of RAM is used. I can imagine it will page out a bit. I have already been looking for the exact GeIL 4 GB ram that I have, but I can't find it anywhere. Selling it and upgrading to 2x4GB 1600MHz seems like a good idea. Other than the speed, what else would be recommended, considering my Asus M4a79T Deluxe mobo? What CAS Latency for example. I believe my current memory is set at 8CL.

The board has little to do with it honestly. DDR3 1600MHZ CL8 1.5v is fine. Get what you can afford and looks good in the build. :)

Ok thanks. I'll have a look. For now im just glad my ram is running at 1600 MHz. Even though I might not even notice it. It just doesn't feel right to have 1600 MHz ram running at 1333.

But there's a sacrifice in moving from 1333 MHz to 1600 MHz in the ram speed and that is higher latencies which, to some degree at least, offsets the gain from the higher frequency. You might want to check frame rates at both frequencies and see if it makes a difference one way or the other. Realize also that if you move to a higher amount of ram you may not be able to get it stable at 1600 MHz running that CPU whose IMC was made for 1333 mhz.

Indeed I had to set the latencies from 7 to 8. If I would go to 8GB, I would buy ram that can do 1600 MHz with a CL of 8. Is there any way to know before hand if this would work with my CPU? Maybe someone on this forum has experience with my specific CPU? It is still kind of an expensive upgrade.

Back