• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to set up a static IP adress?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ysfm17

Registered
Hi

I was trying to set up a static IP dress on my android phone, but whenever I do it I stay connected to the router but not internet connection.

This is my first time I try to set up a static Ip , I searched online how to so that , but still seems I don't do it right, so how to set up a static IP??

Are you trying to set up a static IP locally? i.e. 192.168.0.10
Or are you trying to set up a static IP for any internet access from anywhere you go? i.e. 76.70.285.996

Are you trying to actually assign 192.168.0.0? If so, that's your problem. You have to be in the range of 192.168.0.1-255 otherwise it won't work, I suggest not using .1 as that is typically reserved for the router.

No , am not using that , i was just using it as example for local ip.

I tried other as u said between 1-255 , always connected but no interned.

Is this all what I need to do , change the last part in the ip??
what about the gateway
and DNS?

- - - Updated - - -

No , am not using that , i was just using it as example for local ip.

I tried other as u said between 1-255 , always connected but no interned.

Is this all what I need to do , change the last part in the ip??
what about the gateway
and DNS?

ok so when you do that you have to specify the gateway, subnet ect.
ip address :192.168.0.2-254
subnet: 255.255.255.0
DNS server 192.168.0.1 (usually)
gateway: 192.168.0.1 (usually)

if the phone doesnt know the gateway address it doesnt know how to connect to the internet. make sure you have the router's ip address in the gateway spot in the static ip... likewise just go into your router and set the static ip in there assigning the ip address to your mac.

ok so when you do that you have to specify the gateway, subnet ect.
ip address :192.168.0.2-254
subnet: 255.255.255.0
DNS server 192.168.0.1 (usually)
gateway: 192.168.0.1 (usually)

if the phone doesnt know the gateway address it doesnt know how to connect to the internet. make sure you have the router's ip address in the gateway spot in the static ip... likewise just go into your router and set the static ip in there assigning the ip address to your mac.

can you please explain the part about the MAC adress, ?

I shall copy my phone mac adress with the IP i want in the router?

Go to Advanced, Network, DHCP Server. Pick Address Reservation. Add the MAC address of your phone, the IP address you want the phone to keep, and a description you want to use so you remember what this is later. Make sure to check Enable This Entry then click OK.
If another device is already using the IP address you want to use for your phone this could cause issues, but all you need to do is reboot the router and that device will get a new IP address.

It's also easier if you make your DHCP pool something like 192.168.0.100-.199 and then keep your static IPs in the range of 192.168.0.2-.99

Go to Advanced, Network, DHCP Server. Pick Address Reservation. Add the MAC address of your phone, the IP address you want the phone to keep, and a description you want to use so you remember what this is later. Make sure to check Enable This Entry then click OK.
If another device is already using the IP address you want to use for your phone this could cause issues, but all you need to do is reboot the router and that device will get a new IP address.

It's also easier if you make your DHCP pool something like 192.168.0.100-.199 and then keep your static IPs in the range of 192.168.0.2-.99

Thanks alot
i will try that

Really appreciate your help

Austin for my own sake, when you say "make the DHCP pool between 100 - 199." The reasoning is, so the router doesn't try to set an address that is the same as the static?!

Austin for my own sake, when you say "make the DHCP pool between 100 - 199." The reasoning is, so the router doesn't try to set an address that is the same as the static?!

Correct. It keeps the router from even thinking of assigning a static IP into the DHCP leases. This is how I configure any router I work with to avoid potential issues.

Correct. It keeps the router from even thinking of assigning a static IP into the DHCP leases. This is how I configure any router I work with to avoid potential issues.

that and pfsense wont even let you assign static addresses inside the dhcp pool lmao.

that and pfsense wont even let you assign static addresses inside the dhcp pool lmao.

Very true, pfSense is the last one I set up and it won't let you do it at all. This is a best practice even on routers which do allow you to assign a static address in the DHCP pool, though.

its hit or miss some routers will only let you assign static ip's inside the pool, some dont care, some wont let you.

Back