• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to set up z170 for benching...xp install, 7B bsods :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Which asmedia ports did you use? Port numbers? SATA3_A1 and SATA3_A2?

Update: Using the 2 ports above...have tried about 5 versions of xp but at the 'press any key to install from cd', pressing a key the system says something like memory overflow and refuses to do anything. Also tried the TinyXP rev11 and none of the installs work for me...they say a file can't be found and gives me a boot> prompt.

Last edited:
Sorry funsoul you should of PM me at HWBOT think am done here I wanted to be part of a team and am not seeing it here Don't like talking to my self -try the xp i uploaded to your server thats what I got working now- f it i'll pm you my home number give me a call!

Am back onto this platform and made some headway.

I set up xp (using a clean drive) on my z97 setup. Didn't install any apps or drivers. Plugged the drive into the 1st asmedia port (set to ide mode) and changed the setting in bios from the ps2 y-cable to auto. System started right up and got into XP without an issue. However...was unable to get any drivers loaded and 'opening' any usb drive freezes the system completely (am using an add-in usb2 card). There also doesn't seem to be any way to actually save a (results) file.

So...given my success (albeit limited), set up the z97 platform again and am now going to try the following:
- using z97 in ide mode, set up the drive again but this time, creating 2 partitions on the drive
- set up XP on one partition, 7x86 on the other partition
- install all apps on xp
- install the intel chipset driver on the xp drive, install any z170 drivers possible (for example, lan, mei, asmedia, etc)
- install any drivers that are common to both the z97 and z170 boards on the 7x86 partition (am hoping that when z170/xp is finally working that at least some missing drivers will install when it sees the driver(s) on the 7x86 partition).
- power down, set up the z170 board, plug in the dual-boot drive in to the 1st asmedia port
- power up and cross my fingers

Will update this thread once I've given this a try.

Sorry funsoul you should of PM me at HWBOT think am done here I wanted to be part of a team and am not seeing it here Don't like talking to my self -try the xp i uploaded to your server thats what I got working now- f it i'll pm you my home number give me a call!
Disappointing. Its not a huge team, OCF, but every thread you created did receive multiple replies.. and posts I checked too... is there another concern? Try PMing the Benching team leaders before you bail. ;)

Agreed with ED, QuickFast. If you have an issue please don't hesitate to send a PM to myself, Johan, or Woomack, it's what we're here for if you're having an issue. Otherwise I wish you the best of luck in your benching endeavors and hope to still see you around as you're a great member of this forum and team.

Am back onto this platform and made some headway.

I set up xp (using a clean drive) on my z97 setup. Didn't install any apps or drivers. Plugged the drive into the 1st asmedia port (set to ide mode) and changed the setting in bios from the ps2 y-cable to auto. System started right up and got into XP without an issue. However...was unable to get any drivers loaded and 'opening' any usb drive freezes the system completely (am using an add-in usb2 card). There also doesn't seem to be any way to actually save a (results) file.

So...given my success (albeit limited), set up the z97 platform again and am now going to try the following:
- using z97 in ide mode, set up the drive again but this time, creating 2 partitions on the drive
- set up XP on one partition, 7x86 on the other partition
- install all apps on xp
- install the intel chipset driver on the xp drive, install any z170 drivers possible (for example, lan, mei, asmedia, etc)
- install any drivers that are common to both the z97 and z170 boards on the 7x86 partition (am hoping that when z170/xp is finally working that at least some missing drivers will install when it sees the driver(s) on the 7x86 partition).
- power down, set up the z170 board, plug in the dual-boot drive in to the 1st asmedia port
- power up and cross my fingers

Will update this thread once I've given this a try.

Arghhhh!!!! Thought I had this nailed but, alas, 'tis not yet the case :(

Did everything as described above. The z170 boots to 7x86 without any issues whatsoever. Any/all installed drivers are found and after a single reboot, all is good.

When booting XP, neither the mouse nor keyboard work (they aren't receiving any power). At post, the power is on both and they work without issue in bios. At the XP splash screen, the power drops from the keyboard and mouse and the system enters XP. In XP, even after giving it a few hours (I left it on over night), the power never comes back on to the mouse/keyboard. :(

The mouse and keyboard are plugged in to the usb2 add-on card.

Any ideas???? Frustrated because it seems SO close and yet so far :/

TIA!!!

I assume you're using a Usb keyboard? Have you tried a Ps/2? Only way I can see the usb working is if you can find a driver that will work or maybe an add on card. I did see this on the Asrock OCF site, looks like the ASmedia Usb 3.1 may support win Xp
Capture.PNG

Heya!
Yes...using a usb2 add-on card with the usb keyboard and mouse. Add-on card should work per Splave's thread at XS :/

Oh boy you already have an add on usb card and still can't get it to work? :( IDK much more to help you out then Steph, using a add on Lan card was my solution to get internet on my Z97 board with Xp, I thought it may work on the Z170 for the usb.

Forgive me if this is old news to you but did you try the setting in the bios that runs the usb like an old mouse plug? I had to enable it on my z170 board when installing win7 otherwise my usb mouse and keyboard didn't work. I apologize for the lack of name but I'm not at my pc to look it up. I believe it was in the usb settings.

EDIT: simulate parallel maybe?

Last edited:
Hiya BugFreak!

Yeah...have tried that setting on Auto as well as PS2 Splitter (or something like that). The mouse is now working but I still can't get the keyboard to work from inside windows xp. Thinking that I might be able to use some kind of screenshot utility (so I wouldn't actually need the keyboard)?

Missing tons of drivers...if I can find a decent screenshot tool will post an shot of the missing drivers. Not sure if I need them all but it'd be nice to confirm.

What a pita :/

PS- Have an old ps2 keyboard and mouse. Just ordered a splitter just in case I can't get my usb ones working properly. Too bad it won't be here until after the new year :(

Yeah...I hope so. Only going to use it for spi, pifast and 3dm1/3

Do I need any of these missing drivers? If so...any suggestions on how to get them installed/working?

tia!
snaphsot0001.png
snaphsot0002.png

Don't know, guess you'll have to run it and find out. Just out of curiosity, do you have internet on that rig? I'm just wondering how you'll post screen shots and such if the USB ports aren't working and no internet? Secondary drive?

OK spent a lot of time on this so far and no luck. I'm following coolices guide for USB installation. Always ends in the same place when trying to copy the drivers I selected to insert during installation it says it can't copy them

Dobby-Head-Slam-In-Harry-Potter-Gif.gif

Finally got it to install but I can't access it. I get the log-in screen but say there's some access violation cause it can't be verified blah blah and keeps giving me the finger. I'll have to try a different image I think. This one was a modded OEM I think so that could be the problem??

Last edited:
So far I have managed to get XP64 installed with a working mouse and keyboard but trying to install xHCI drivers has now broken it so I have to start over

Oh yeah...a good time had by all...woohoo!!!

I'm riding with what I've got....working usb mouse and no keyboard :/ Have a screenshot utility installed.

Getting around the no internet (nor keyboard plus not being able to save screenies to usb) by having 7x86 on the 2nd partition. Will do everything in xp, save the screenshots to the desktop then reboot to the 7x86 partition and copy the files from the xp partition to a usb drive. Did some basic testing, the system seems to be working.

Busy week but will try to get some more testing done next week (incl dialing in the ram) and report back.

If anyone can get this working better than I have (I'm looking at you Johan! No pressure hehe), please do tell!

Back