• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to set up z170 for benching...xp install, 7B bsods :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I still don't have a decent XP image I can get to work. Have tried all the ones in our archive. I got 64 to work but that came straigh from a cids

Ahhh...so it's not just me! Nice (at least I feel a little less dense).

You're trying to install from a cd/dvd, right? Our archive is full atm but can offer you 2 things that might help...
1) a copy of the xp.sp3 full install...this is the only one I could/can get installed properly and without errors
2) an xp/7x86 image with apps and a lot of drivers that I created on z97 but got working on the z170ocf. It's the same image that I'm currently having the no keyboard issue above

Shoot me a pm with your email addy and I'll rip my xp disk and make an image of my current xp/7x86 install then get you a link of some sort so you can grab them from me.

Thanks F_S but I'm downloading the full deal from MS right now. I'll get back top you if it doesn't pan out

Have either of you seen any results running Xp confirming that it will help with benches, like it did in the past?

I had 64 bit working and it was worse than Win7
32bit might be different

Thought I read somewhere, which I'll have to find, that because of lack of important drivers and such. The performance gains weren't there like in the past.

On previous Intel series even if you could make XP run then many drivers were not working too. You simply don't need most drivers in 2D tests. Even if you install them then turning off some features ( to speed up OS ) you are disabling most of these special drivers/services. Simply don't worry about most of the drivers. Try to install all what you need like keyboard and mouse. Worse will be in 3D as you need some more.
After seeing results on XP, Win7 and Win10 I'm not really sure if it's really worth to waste time on XP. Anyway good luck and write a short guide for others if you finally make to work it right ;) I was trying it for couple of days without success and I had enough.

I got it to work finally , now I have to figure out what I can strip from that OS to speed it up. Right now still slower than Win7

I got it to work finally , now I have to figure out what I can strip from that OS to speed it up. Right now still slower than Win7
Well hopefully you find something that will help it out. With my 4770k even my full Xp 32 bit Os was faster then Win 7.

I'm done for now. I've had enough. Not sure what was going wrong but my Nlite kept crashing on me.

Yes and no. I have a version that will work. Just need to modify it. So far no gains but it does work. I'm hoping to juice up tomorrow so I need to prep for that and will run Win7 and 10 only I guess. Wasted many hours at this so far but I'm not done yet. Hopefully the new TIM makes a difference.

I didn't try injecting drivers or any of that. Got it to install using an actual, real life, physical cd.

Uploaded NewXP3D to our drive. Just burn it to disk. This version installs without any issues (albeit you'll still have to deal with the drivers issues).

XP seems to be working and I thought I was pretty much good to go but did a pair of quick spi32 tests (with everything at default settings). The 7x64 result beat the XP result by over a minute (and I haven't even tweaked the 7 install). :(

Ideas?

XP seems to be working and I thought I was pretty much good to go but did a pair of quick spi32 tests (with everything at default settings). The 7x64 result beat the XP result by over a minute (and I haven't even tweaked the 7 install). :(

Ideas?
This is what I've read also with Xp vs Win 7/10

I wouldn't be surprised if Win7 was faster. Even on Haswell I could make similar results on Win7 and XP. XP was slightly better but not so much to care about it. I wasn't trying to reach any top scores and I simply couldn't without LN2.

Back