• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to setup a Netbook as Access Point (DHCP) and HTTP server in one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tea_J

What I'm trying to do is setup netbook A as an access point with HTTP server for clients ( Netbooks B C and D)

Netbook A (host netbook) is running Windows 8 64bit running WAMP Netbook B C and D (clients) are a mix of windows 7 and 8

So basically, I have a browser-based application hosted on Netbook A, which needs to be accessed by Netbook B C D via their browsers.

While this is easily done with a wifi accesspoint/router in the middle, I need to get rid of that middleware and just have the client netbooks connect directly to the host netbook.

I have played around with different applications that turn netbook A into a router, and while it was easy to set up the netbook as a router and have the other netbooks connect to it, I have several problems:

1. The netbooks aren't obtaining any IP address from the host netbook. I figured maybe because there is no DHCP server running on the netbook A.
So is there a way to enable DHCP on the host netbook?

For now I have the IP address manually across all netbooks. I have set the host netbook to have IP address 192.168.1.10 and the rest to be .11, .12 etc.

2. Even with manually setting the IP addresses, the clients can't access the HTTPserver from their browsers. I also tried to ping the host netbookbut I only get RTO/timeout.

3. Lastly, like a true access point, I would need the host netbook to start its hotspot broadcast automatically upon start up.

Can these things be done?

I would love to get some help with this because I am stuck.

Thank you guys

Back