• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to tell if my problem is the Gigabyte MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FPagnotti

I've had a nightmare weekend with my computer.

I built my own computer last summer and for the most part, it's been perfect.

Until this weekend...

I kept getting a blue screen on Friday night. The computer was rebooting itself every once in a while for the last week. Then Friday, when it rebooted, a screen that says re-writing the bios would start, and then it would stop and reboot itself again. I tried getting into safe mode, wouldn't work. Wouldn't let me go back into system restore. It also kept trying to go to the bios reflash screen and would constantly reboot from that.

I ran Memtest86 and the timer stopped but it was still going after running for 7 hours. There were well over 300,000 errors detected but then that froze up and I tried to get back to that screen and boot from the CD Rom and the re-writting bios screen kept coming up and rebooting.

Here is the MB I purchased..

GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I'm trying my best to determine if this is a MB issue or if my HD is failing. When I finally was able to reset the CMOS and get back into my desktop, I tried transfering all my data to my external and then there was another blue screen error.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm a noob at this so I'm learning as I go.

If you got 300,000 errors in memtest86 it is possible that the memory is having a huge issue, but if it keeps trying to re-flash your BIOS (not sure why, unless it is recovering from a 'bad OC' or something) that is all I can think of - since you could get back into Windows (albeit briefly with a BSOD) after resetting your CMOS I'm thinking the memory may be at fault. If you can get back into Windows, right click on computer -> properties -> advanced -> startup and recovery button -> disable 'system failure automatic restart', this way you can take note of what error the BSOD is giving.

Also, try removing a (assuming you are using 2 sticks of RAM) and see if it is stable, and move that one around into the other slots if it still has trouble, then do it with the other one.

Back