• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to troubleshoot Win7 sleep issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

I've tried Google, but I can only find "I did X and now it works!" as opposed to a guide for diagnosing and fixing the problem.

Story:

Recently got an SSD, so I re-installed Windows. System suspended/slept perfectly before. Now it tries to, but immediately pops back on without ever powering off.

powercfg -energy reveals:

Code:
USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name 	USB Root Hub
Host Controller ID 	PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A38
Host Controller Location 	PCI bus 0, device 26, function 1
Device ID 	USB\VID_8086&PID_3A38
Port Path

I got six of those, plus another similar error for each individual USB device currently connected. 12 USB ports, so it appears to be an issue with my USB driver maybe? All peripheral devices are identical to before when Sleep worked.

The only thing I can think that I might've done differently was I got my chipset drivers from Intel instead of Gigabyte this time around. Thinking that was a mistake, I downloaded the drivers from Gigabyte's website and installed them while ignoring warnings that my current drivers were a higher version. Sleep still doesn't work, however.

I'm not real sure where to go from here aside from backing up Users, doing a secure erase on the SSD and trying again. Any tips?

Each USB hub in device manager has its own power management options/settings. I'd first ensure they're all set to allow windows to turn off the device when not in use, and if that is currently set for those hubs then try disabling, rebooting, then re-enabling, rebooting again, and testing. I'm thinking along the same lines - could be a driver issue/caused by improper drivers. It's possible whatever underlying issue didn't get solved with the recent driver install because those settings weren't changed simply by changing the driver. I'm hoping my suggestion would reset whatever settings are the culprit.

If it persists after Pinky's suggestion, uninstall the driver, run Driver Sweeper, and then reinstall the newest version.

Back