• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How would you rate the specs of this PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

milomak

Someone is looking to supply me with this PSU. I think they called it a Superchannel.

Features

80PLUS(R) certified and NVIDIA SLI ready for whole series. Fully modular
cabling design enables you to connect only the cables you need.

Component: Use high reliability of components:

To maximize heat release, Powerex use golden heat sink and select stable
quality of Buck Capacitors made in Japan and the other semi-conductor
components from world-class main manufacturers at higher cost.

Reliability: To provide high efficient and reliable power supply by
using reliable quality of components and well circuit layout design.
This is to make sure a stable power supply environment for your system
without system break down caused by unstable power supply.

Fully modular detachable cabling design enables you to connect only the
cables you need.

80PLUS(R) certified and NVIDIA SLI ready for whole series to ensure
users a system environment without concerning of unstable power output
voltage and save the electric expense.

Voltage INPUT:110-240V

Output Voltage
Load

MIN
Range

MAX
Regulation
Ripple

P-P Max.
Ripple & Noise

P-P Max.

1. +5V
2.0A
30.0A
+-5%
70mV
100mV

2. +12V1
1.0A
18.0A
+-5%
120mV
200mV

3. +12V2
1.0A
18.0A
+-5%
120mV
200mV

4. +12V3
1.0A
30.0A
+-5%
120mV
200mV

5. +12V4
1.0A
30.0A
+-5%
120mV
200mV

6. -12V
0.0A
0.8A
+-10%
150mV
200mV

7. +3.3V
0.5A
30.0A
+-5%
70mV
100mV

8. +5Vsb
0.0A
3A
+-5%
70mV
100mV

Specifications

Max. Dc Output 850 W

Input Voltage 110-240VAC+-10%

PFC Active PFC (PF>0.95 at full load)

Efficiency
The power supply efficiency shall not be less than 80% at the maximum
load of sec. 2.2 and 115 / 230Vac input voltage.

MTBF 100,000 hours at 25℃, full load

Operating temperature 0 ~ 40 degreesC

Protection
Over current protection, Over power protection, Over voltage protection,
Short circuit, No load operation, Under voltage protection.

135mm Fan Speed Controlling for Better Cooling &Less Noise

Cooling System Single 135mm sleeve fan

Noise Level 31.7dB (MAX)

Dimension 150x86x158mm

Well, it exists. That's about all I can say for it. If the first page of a google search for "Superchannel power supply" doesn't yield an actual home page, I'd run far away.

But pretend it had one. Let's look at the specs. It professes to have two 18A +12v rails and two 30A +12v rails. V x A = W. 2(18 x 12) + 2(30 x 12) = 2(216) + 2(360) = 432 + 720 = 1152W. The math doesn't work out.

I hate multi-rail PSUs to start with, b/c most of them have ridiculous ratings like that. Add the fact that I've never heard of them and can't even find a homepage. I'd steer clear of putting it in my system.

If the specs are true... then it should be a fine power supply.

...but of course there's no gaurantee the specs are true.

I've got a five year warranty on the power supply in my sig... I much of a warranty are you going to get on a power supply that no one's heard of before?

That said... if they're giving it to you for free... why not?

MTBF measured at 25 C is also another horrible sign. All ratings on the PSUs should be measured at 40-50 C. "Less noise" and then 32 dB? Sigh. That's a very audible level of noise. Just forget the PSU, it's utter bullcrap. Get a quality unit from Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone, Enermax, etc.

i wouldn't trust anything with more then two rails, especially if you hook up high performance parts to it. if you plan on running tri or quad sli 9600's or 9800's ok but for higher cards you need at least 30A on one rail just for the card, so that would run this psu at it's limit pretty quick

MTBF measured at 25 C is also another horrible sign. All ratings on the PSUs should be measured at 40-50 C.

MTBF is a useless spec and usually given at 25 degrees. You want the operating temp spec.

As to the Superchannel, I'd avoid it. No telling who built it.

MTBF is a useless spec and usually given at 25 degrees. You want the operating temp spec.

As to the Superchannel, I'd avoid it. No telling who built it.

Googling some of the bad English he pasted above, it looks like this is the one: http://www.powerex-corp.com.tw/eng/product_rexsli_850.html

Dunno if Powerex is an OEM or just another rebrander, though.

edit: Whoa, they have some awesome Engrish on their about us page.

powerex said:
Powerex Electronics Co.,Ltd. Establish in January,2004,From create brand POWEREX-For one of the professional power supply manufacturers,The development team and sale talented person who relies on to combine to accumulate strong experience strength is a foundation,Re- design a series of power strong, use with long hours super stability, the life super long power supply. The head wave lord beats the model power supply of"REX-AS series", 400 Ws~1200 Ws, match INTEL ATX 2.03 editions, pass a multinational Anne's rules certification to sell to Japan, Mainland China, Germany abreast, Spain, North Europe...etc., all acquire the trust of all countries, we devote one's mind and adhere to good development and design continuously, believing deeply under effort of developing the team and profession organization member, can not fail to satisfy the customer's need and the trust.

Have the courage innovation and breakthrough, use
an advanced equipment, suggest high-quality credibility, provide reasonable price and good product. . And strong development strength mainly is the electronics of Xin Hong to win customer to trust one of the reasons, making us face a future development to have firm confidence, keeping on devotion a talented person to grow and enlarging complete product line, creating a chance. The Xin Hong will adhere to "profession, quality, innovation, service" etc. practicality trustworthiness of principle of management, establishment and customer the relation of the long-term good cooperation, create a win-win situation.

The head wave lord.. Huh? Suggest high-quality credibility.. Double-huh.. They pass a multinational Anne's rules ( http://karelelliott.gefsytes.ws/arules.htm ???) certification???

edit: Not to be confused with this Powerex, based in Korea, who actually have UL numbers on their stuff http://www.powerex.co.kr/emain.htm?page=emenu&sub=epowerex_m2 http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/cgifind.new/LISEXT/1FRAME/srchres.html

last edit I swear: Hey, Corsair might be coming out with a 380 watt unit? http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/...n=versionless&parent_id=1073787374&sequence=1

Last edited:
ratbuddy said:
last edit I swear: Hey, Corsair might be coming out with a 380 watt unit? http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...374&sequence=1
Whoa. The point? 3 A less on the 12 V rail and it's a new PSU compared to 400? Wonder if it will come with a 5-year warranty or something?

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Bah. True.

But pretend it had one. Let's look at the specs. It professes to have two 18A +12v rails and two 30A +12v rails. V x A = W. 2(18 x 12) + 2(30 x 12) = 2(216) + 2(360) = 432 + 720 = 1152W. The math doesn't work out.

I hate multi-rail PSUs to start with, b/c most of them have ridiculous ratings like that. Add the fact that I've never heard of them and can't even find a homepage. I'd steer clear of putting it in my system.

Every multi rail PSU I've seen is rated like that. Those ratings show the max that each rail individually can supply, they cannot all supply full amperage all the time. Take a known quality PSU like the Corsair 520HX, has 3 12v rails rated at 18a each. That adds up to 648 watts but combined can only put out 480 on the 12v all together. It's not a lie just the way multi rail psu's work.

Every multi rail PSU I've seen is rated like that. Those ratings show the max that each rail individually can supply, they cannot all supply full amperage all the time. Take a known quality PSU like the Corsair 520HX, has 3 12v rails rated at 18a each. That adds up to 648 watts but combined can only put out 480 on the 12v all together. It's not a lie just the way multi rail psu's work.

True.. It's not ridicilous either, just needs half a brain to determine if it's what you need. At the same time, it IS ridicilous in some cases where the manufacturer does not want to reveal the max combined load, which may be a lot lower than the advertized wattage suggests.

True.. It's not ridicilous either, just needs half a brain to determine if it's what you need. At the same time, it IS ridicilous in some cases where the manufacturer does not want to reveal the max combined load, which may be a lot lower than the advertized wattage suggests.

This is true, and I didn't mention before but I wasn't supporting the PSU in the OP just the multi rail ratings.

Are those electrical parameters @ 40 C? With a ton or reliable units available, why go with the dodgy one?

Looks like it might be, if you follow the first link of my post above, it says operating temperature 0-40C. I wouldn't go so far as to call this thing dodgy yet, maybe just 'unknown,' since it does have rather nice published specs. Also only seems to be available in South Africa, which might make getting hold of a review a bit tough.

Yep, that's why I said "I hate multi-rail PSUs to start with, b/c most of them have ridiculous ratings like that." It's also why I always stick with high-amp, single-rail PSUs. If it's a good PSU, you always know what you're getting. My TX650 has a single, 52A +12v rail for 624W, leaving the rest for the remaining small load rails.

I understand how multi rail PSUs work; it's just that IMHO, their rating system is just a crock. Say someone bought that PSU for an SLI/X-fire setup with to beast GPUs based on those specifications. Completely ignoring the other two rails, if only the two 30A rails were stressed to max, the system would be asking for 720W, well more than the PSU is capable of. Hopefully no one would do such a thing, but surely you can see the problem.

Yep, that's why I said "I hate multi-rail PSUs to start with, b/c most of them have ridiculous ratings like that." It's also why I always stick with high-amp, single-rail PSUs. If it's a good PSU, you always know what you're getting. My TX650 has a single, 52A +12v rail for 624W, leaving the rest for the remaining small load rails.

Using your PSU as an example, it's rated for 624 watts on the 12v, leaving only 26 watts for the 5v and 3.3v. Look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...0TX 650W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply and you'll see that it's rated the same way as those multi-rail ones you dislike. Yes, in theory, 624w on the 12v, but also 170w combined on the 3.3 and 5v rails. Add in the 9.6 and 15w from the 5vsb and -12, and you're looking at an '818.6 watt' unit. The TX650 is nice, and might be able to pull off that number, but it's still only rated for 650. Glass houses and stones, all that.

I understand how multi rail PSUs work; it's just that IMHO, their rating system is just a crock. Say someone bought that PSU for an SLI/X-fire setup with to beast GPUs based on those specifications. Completely ignoring the other two rails, if only the two 30A rails were stressed to max, the system would be asking for 720W, well more than the PSU is capable of. Hopefully no one would do such a thing, but surely you can see the problem.

They're not ridiculous ratings, they say (at least the one's I own) right on the label what they are capable of. say on my 520 hx each individual rail is capable of 18a but only for a total of 480w (40a) total, no bs says so right on the label. And using your analogy, how can you say your 650 watt PSU can put out 624w on the 12v but it's unrealistic the PSU in question couldn't possibly put out 720w when it's rated at 850?

Using your PSU as an example, it's rated for 624 watts on the 12v, leaving only 26 watts for the 5v and 3.3v. Look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...0TX 650W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply and you'll see that it's rated the same way as those multi-rail ones you dislike. Yes, in theory, 624w on the 12v, but also 170w combined on the 3.3 and 5v rails. Add in the 9.6 and 15w from the 5vsb and -12, and you're looking at an '818.6 watt' unit. The TX650 is nice, and might be able to pull off that number, but it's still only rated for 650. Glass houses and stones, all that.
Very true; I just tend to focus on the +12v rail b/c it's where the majority of a system's power is drawn from. No disputing your numbers though. Next time you have the components in your system use 170W on the other rails, let me know. :beer: (EDIT - Just realized that sounds snide; I assure you it's not intended as such, just having a little fun.)
They're not ridiculous ratings, they say (at least the one's I own) right on the label what they are capable of. say on my 520 hx each individual rail is capable of 18a but only for a total of 480w (40a) total, no bs says so right on the label. And using your analogy, how can you say your 650 watt PSU can put out 624w on the 12v but it's unrealistic the PSU in question couldn't possibly put out 720w when it's rated at 850?
Heh, yea, I'll have to sheepishly withdraw that comment. I totally spaced that we were talking about an 850W PSU. Heh, excuse me while I withdraw back into a corner.

Re: Ratings - The difference is you know what you're doing. The general population would not even consider that. They'll just see 2x18A + 2x30A, assume that's what it puts out and go from there. Perhaps I'm being to hard on them, but consumers aren't always the brightest candles in the chandelier. Hey, look at me...see the preceding paragraph! :eek:

...Just to bring it back on topic while I'm typing; I'll happily admit to being a PSU snob and would not buy this PSU from a company I've never heard of who doesn't seem to even have a home page.

Back