• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How would you upgrade to an A64 system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Main question is, what would one do if there is a need (for certain reason) to build one yesterday/tomorrow.
A 3000+ and NF3 250 would be a safe bet, as you've suggested. In my haste, I went for a 150 and my 3200+. Even though I may be lacking the on-board features( which I don't need) and supposed stability of the 250, it was a better choice than a mobile Barton would have been, at least in absolute terms, not price/performance, considering my budget. Updates, better steppings, e.g., will always be around the bend, but todays hardware is quite solid.

I think for those who needs (for certain reason) to build one yesterday/tomorrow. The possibility is described in details here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=299963

- a 754 250 GB motherboard
- a mobile A64 CG rev. 3000+ ClawHammer (for air/water cooling)
- DDR 500 memory or overclock equivalent
- SLK-948U or heat pipe for air colling

It is $150 more than a Nforce2 + mobile Barton, but potentially 15-25% performance gain running the same frequencies of CPU, memory, HT bus.

For water/extreme cooling,
a mobile A64 CG rev. 3200+ ClawHammer.

If I need to build one now, this is what I would do.
One month later, things may change.

So this is option 1, option 3.

Last edited:
yeah that's my favorite choice. i already experienced the pain of the SDRAM to DDR RAM rollover and i intend to get my 939, pci-e, ddr 2 system in late Q4 of 2005. til then, im staying put.

My upgrade timetable:

#3 around winter time (more around later winter most likley)

and my next uprade (whenever it is available, but probley in a year to a year and a half from upgrade #3)

#7 A dual-core SMP system. :drool: :drool: :drool:

O GOD

Overclockers.com claims that now, AMD is going to make another socket for 90nm chips...... WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!?!!?
codename TOLEDO, socket 900 for 90nm AMD64.

oc_byagi said:
O GOD

Overclockers.com claims that now, AMD is going to make another socket for 90nm chips...... WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!?!!?
codename TOLEDO, socket 900 for 90nm AMD64.

This is one of the side effects of having the RAM controller on chip--each time DDR standards change, the sockets change too.

*shrug*

It's the tradeoff of having truly advanced technology :cool:

oc_byagi said:
even though, i've voted for #5, i can't deny the fact that A64 3400+ just tears all the cpus apart, matches with FX53.

Nah, the A64 3400+ is on par with the FX-51. Socket 940 FX-53 pretty much beats the A64 3400+ in everything. Socket 939 FX-53 should increase that margin, since unbuffered dimms theoretically give 5% performance increase.

Socket 900 may be plausible once AMD supports DDRII. I doubt AMD will release another Socket just for 90nm chips. They will continue to use Socket 939/940 for quite a bit. AMD might have to revise the memory controller to support DDRII and dual-core technology though.

BTX is a joke. Intel only made it for their Presshot needs.

We all can wait forever to upgrade. There will always be something new and better than current stuff. That's why I admire Gautam for upgrading to Socket 754 after everybody told him not too :attn:

choice #1
Hey guys, a big newbie coming at you~
My rig is getting old now. Bought in 2000 Dell P3 866 MHz

1. Is there a S754 Athlon 64 with CG stepping out there right now, which is not mobile or DTR? At new egg I think only the mobiles have the CG stepping 'AR' at the end of their product #, no?
2. What's the difference among regular, mobile and DTR chips? Is one superior than the other two?

KAJINOFE said:
choice #1

1. Is there a S754 Athlon 64 with CG stepping out there right now, which is not mobile or DTR? At new egg I think only the mobiles have the CG stepping 'AR' at the end of their product #, no?
2. What's the difference among regular, mobile and DTR chips? Is one superior than the other two?

0. Welcome to the Forums :attn:
1. I'm not sure, but I'm sure that Hitech knows. He seems to know everything...:)
2. A "normally aspirated" Athlon64 is a desktop, full power processor, socket 754, with integrated heat spreader. A desktop replacement -64 is a full power chip, without the IHS, if I recall correctly. A mobile -64 is a low-power Athlon.

BTX is a joke. Intel only made it for their Presshot needs.

Yeah well, joke or not, its not high on my list, I just threw it in there, I'm getting a BTX/ATX Compatible CM Stacker and a BTX PSU + adapter, just in "case" I need it in the future

KAJINOFE said:
choice #1

Desktop CG Clawhammers certainly do exist, however, they are extremely rare, and your chances of finding one simply buying from newegg are pretty much zero. CG Newcastles(AX code) are what most are these days. The mobile is the best choice as of now.

ATM I could not recomend the mobil or DTR to anyone till we get more confirmation on them working properly in present mobo's. A few here understand how fickle the DTR's are in motherboards. And I personally havenot heard of any mobils yet. They may work or they may not be recognized by the board.

d]g[ts said:
ATM I could not recomend the mobil or DTR to anyone till we get more confirmation on them working properly in present mobo's. A few here understand how fickle the DTR's are in motherboards. And I personally havenot heard of any mobils yet. They may work or they may not be recognized by the board.
This is something that I didn't even think of. So far, Shuttles with certain BIOSes can work fine with them, and Gigabytes as we know can, except for the saving issue. Hrmmm...but the problem again is that we can't get confirmation unless someone goes out there and tries em.

Hrmmm...but the problem again is that we can't get confirmation unless someone goes out there and tries em.
True that, But giving a recomendation for it could spell much evil for the person that tries it and has to deal with the issues and hastle that accompany these combo,s ATM. You and TC were the one's I learned how to get this going from, and iit would have been hell had I not known beforehand what to expect.
Would like to be a guinnie pig for a true mobile But have no funds ATM. :mad:

Silent Buddha said:
We all can wait forever to upgrade. There will always be something new and better than current stuff. That's why I admire Gautam for upgrading to Socket 754 after everybody told him not too
Many thanks, dude. :attn:

2160MHz, then, 1.39v, that's very impressive indeed. I *think* mine can pull that off, haven't tried, though, but logic would suggest it. I've tested 2500/1.7v, 2.3/1.55v, but that's about it. The steppings are very similar. The mobiles are about a week newer than mine. I'll be eyeing JAWS' results keenly. What board does he have, btw?

Silent Buddha Thanks for the linky very interesting. Would like to know what mobo he's running. Didnt see it but may have been overlooked

Back