• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hows this looking so far (temps/performance) fx6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

got the 6300 upgrade during amazon sales and finally upgraded from my pc in sig.

Any opinions on how this is looking so far? Just got the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo and thinking of Ocing it and any ideas on how far these can be pushed. This is sitting on prime95 under maximum heat/cpu test for 30 min

F6bpILF.jpg

Temps look good.
Which motherboard did you go with? I see Gigabyte.

Please update your Sig.

With that cooler you can expect to see an overclock of 4.4-4.5 ghz, assuming you have good case ventilation and a motherboard with a stout VRM component.

That motherboard only has 4+1 VRM so I wouldn't count on much of an overclock. An 8+2 VRM motherboard would have been a much better match.

Well, it's a 4+1 board like trents said, but at least it has a heatsink on the VRM. Should do fine in the 4-4.2 range, but I wouldn't push much higher.

Was the screen shot above taken after prime was running or was it running in the background? I'm just curious why Cpu-Z is reporting 3000 Mhz on the Cpu. If it isn't running in the background then it's a non issue.

Was the screen shot above taken after prime was running or was it running in the background? I'm just curious why Cpu-Z is reporting 3000 Mhz on the Cpu. If it isn't running in the background then it's a non issue.

it was running in the background. I too noticed it jumping from 3000-3516 quite often

i recently also made a thread in the memory section about my PC only saying 4GB out of the 8 was usuable. Seems my ram slots were bad, would that cause it?

Hard to say, the frequency fluctuations could be caused by another issue on the board if the board is bad.

rydis, if the board is indeed bad, you may want to consider getting a higher quality motherboard if OCing the 6300 is your goal. If it is determined that it is bad and you can RMA it, I'd sell it when you receive your board back and get something with a more stout Power Phase section.

rydis, if the board is indeed bad, you may want to consider getting a higher quality motherboard if OCing the 6300 is your goal. If it is determined that it is bad and you can RMA it, I'd sell it when you receive your board back and get something with a more stout Power Phase section.

I haven't even attempted to OC it yet, and I do believe the board is bad and have already purchased a replacement, just waiting for it to come before refunding this one back.

I have always just tried to OC into a safe area with just decent cooling, without messing with voltages and stuff. But this seemed like the best board in my budget, if I can't OC, then so be it unfortunately. Thanks for all this help btw.

Power saving features. Either in the bios, or in Windows power profiles.....or both.

Back