• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HT Not working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aNTiChRisT

Very strange, recently i reformatted and since then HTT isn't working...

Here's a copy from Steam:

Code:
Processor Information:
    Vendor:  GenuineIntel
    Speed: 3499 Mhz
    1 logical processor
    1 physical processor
    HyperThreading:  Unsupported

and my irc script...

Code:
CPU Count: 1

And CPU-z shows only 1 processor...

Bios in boot says;

"Intel Pentium 4 3.49ghz Hyperthreading Technology ENABLED"

Any ideas what is happening?

Thanks,

~t0m

Was it set to off when Windows was installed? If so, you need to either update your ACPI driver or you need to reinstall Windows with HT turned on. What version of windows are you using?

I didnt change any HTT settings on reformat, I'm using WinXP Pro SP2.

Still stumped :(((

Cheers for the reply though,

~t0m

Could be SP2, got word that SP2 is a bit dodgey anyway, so i'll roll back to SP1. Think i'll phone up SP2 helpline tomorrow just to see.

~t0m

Lets proccesses "jump" the long pentium pipeline... effectively giving it "2 CPUs" but its not as good. I can definately tell the difference though :(

~t0m

So did the rollback to SP1 fix it? If not, I would try another reinstall, make sure that HT is on though before you install it. Also make sure that the BIOS recognises that it is enabled.

I havent tried so far, will probably do it later today or tomorrow.

The bios definately has it enabled, and i quote:

"Hyperthreading CPU Detected Hyperthreading Technology Enabled"

Even has the bold lol :)

Will format with SP1 and hopefully it'll work.

Cheers,

~t0m

could try resetin bios, take out cmos etc etc. Then do a install of winodows, you could try turning it off and reboot then on again, sounds silly i know, anythings worth trying.

tried that stuff already :( formatted and installed twice today already :p

SP1 or SP2 dont make a difference, so i think i could be a board problem -- conflictions with raid?

The Max3 has 2 sATA on the southbridge (Intel RAID) and 4 sATA on a separate chip (Silicon Image) i have tried arrays on both chips.

I have a spare HDD, i'll try doing it without RAID... maybe that will work. If it does, its either a board or windows problem.

*sigh* im off for the weekend now aswell. Keep those ideas coming in folks! :D

~t0m

Cant you update the bios?

Maybe i should try bios 16... that may have been upgraded just before format

~t0m

Look what it says in Device Manager under 'Computer'. If it says anything other than 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC' you have an XP install with the wrong HAL. You CANNOT change the HAL in XP(pro) SP1 or SP2 without reinstalling. No need to email Abit or anybody, make sure HT is enabled in BIOS and do a clean install of XPpro that should do the trick, and it's the only way really...

I've reinstalled 3 times now, no luck. I think something is up with the bios, or the RAID features of the mobo are interfering.

:(

~t0m

If i was you, id just take everything out raid and all, take cmos out, leave it for hour or so, put cpu in ram gfx, and an IDE hdd, make sure HT is enabled in bios, and leave everything else default, except boot cd :p. Thats what i'd do anyway. Good luck

That's really strange indeed. Did you clear CMOS yet? I remember Batboy loosing dual-channel with his RAM whatever he tried, after clearing CMOS is was back to normal...

I'm going to wait for some correspondance from Abit, if its still not working i may format again then... but yea its pretty messed up. Something between the bios and HAL is going wrong each time.

I wonder if its cause i had to change over cooling? My pump went down, pretty sure nothing happened to the CPU it went to 70c for about a minute (inc. cooling time) but the regular joe has his PC near that temp anyway. But i've now got the intel stock cooler on -- my waterblock doesnt exert as much pressure on the cpu/mobo as the stock fan i wonder if this sudden compression has caused problems...

I might have to push up my new watercooling soon then... damnit expenses!!!

Cheers,

~t0m

have you tried this?: disable HT in bios, restarting computer - let fully reboot, restart, go into bios and enable HT, reboot. i had the identical problem a couple months ago when i reformatted w/ SP2, where Sandra & CPU-z showed no HT, although it was enabled in bios. i did this, and it corrected the problem. good luck. :attn:

Back