• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTC Vive, 1 HDMI and external monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
I posted here because I am not sure exactly which forum this should go in, so, please move it if it fits better somewhere else.

For Christmas, Santa brought the kids an HTC Vive. I am running it with a Dell Inspiron (i7, 1050ti GPU). No issues there. However, the PC only has one HDMI output, which is currently connected to the Vive. The issue is that I want to be able to drive the VR but also "duplicate" the display to my overhead projector.

The PC is also used for playing other non-VR games on the projector. At present, I have to either plug in the projector to the PC or the VR. My thought was to use an HDMI, 1 in 2 out splitter. I purchased this -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8LLP2G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It claims that the device will send one input onto two monitors, or in my case, the projector and the Vive. I haven't had any success getting it to work. I am able to display the PC to the projector but as soon as I turn on the VR software, the video signal to the projector is cut off but nothing displays on the Vive. At this point, if finding a solution to accomplish what I want is not possible, I would settle for being able to simply press a button to switch between the two different displays. Having to manually switch HDMI cables is going to cause considerable wear and tear.

Any suggestions??

I posted here because I am not sure exactly which forum this should go in, so, please move it if it fits better somewhere else.

For Christmas, Santa brought the kids an HTC Vive. I am running it with a Dell Inspiron (i7, 1050ti GPU). No issues there. However, the PC only has one HDMI output, which is currently connected to the Vive. The issue is that I want to be able to drive the VR but also "duplicate" the display to my overhead projector.

The PC is also used for playing other non-VR games on the projector. At present, I have to either plug in the projector to the PC or the VR. My thought was to use an HDMI, 1 in 2 out splitter. I purchased this -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8LLP2G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It claims that the device will send one input onto two monitors, or in my case, the projector and the Vive. I haven't had any success getting it to work. I am able to display the PC to the projector but as soon as I turn on the VR software, the video signal to the projector is cut off but nothing displays on the Vive. At this point, if finding a solution to accomplish what I want is not possible, I would settle for being able to simply press a button to switch between the two different displays. Having to manually switch HDMI cables is going to cause considerable wear and tear.

Any suggestions??

Not sure about the Vive but the Oculus Rift has a setting in the desktop program that allows simultaneous display to the monitor. Maybe the Vive has that too somewhere deep in the settings?

I got something similar to the 2x1 switch you linked as I have two PCs running on one monitor (desktop real estate issue); mine is a ZettaGuard 3x1 switch with a remote for switching from one PC to the other. Works well, no issues, recently plugged in another PC for a couple of hours for testing which worked just as well.

Back