• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC for OTA HD PVR and web feeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CougarSE

In the all to common quest to save money I've decided to ditch the cable. I don't watch TV often and the programming that is available OTA is good enough. I have a few requirements that I would like to ad-hear to because of cost and WAF. This is not a game rig, not a blue ray rig and not a music machine. However I do want some other odd requests such as HVAC integration and Home lighting control through X10 or whatever. I want this to be an all in one unit with no server hiding in the background or in the basement. I'm not planning to store hours upon hours of recordings so I don't need several terabytes of storage. I pretty much want a STB HTPC

So I've chosen some hardware and I'll list those items, I'm very open to suggestions.

1. Software!?

First things first I want OTA recording as my main use of this HTPC, I would also like to have access to as many internet streams as possible. On top of that I would like to have the capacity to integrate home automation, such as HVAC control and lighting control. Not light control as in theatrical lighting but the ability to have certain lights come on and go off at night. With my OTA recording I would like a simple solution to a guide. Now Windows or Linux is fine and I'm open to any suggestion. I plan on having a tuner in the HTPC so I guess that needs to be taken into consideration. I have the most experience with XBMC but I like the sounds of MythTV and even more so Mythbuntu. I also understand that SageTv is what I want but thats a no go.

2. Hardware

Mobo itx- GA-H55N-USB3 - http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0347894

Mobo matx -H61MU-E35 - http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0361688

CPU - Core i3 550 Clarkdale - http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0350692

This to me looks like a decent combo and like the idea of nearly complete integration of the board. From what I've read the HD video onboard is more than powerful enough to run 720p. I've also read that this chipset is not Linux friendly right now. I'll run however much ram is required and start with the most silent 1tb HDD. No blue ray drive needed, I already have a blue ray player and with how little I use it I don't care to try and replace it.

Whatever dual tuner will work with either Linux or windows is great.

3. Case!

I want this thing to integrate with my other components, I have a two standard width black units, the blue ray player and a receiver. I want a case that is the same width as these two devices, so 17 inches give or take a bit. I would prefer a case that has minimal junk on the front. I don't want to spend $200 either. Now I also like the idea of a stand up tiny case for the itx platform but none I've found have an expansion slot for a tuner.

This one is nice and would allow me to upgrade to m-atx.

Thank you for all the help!

Last edited:
As far as htpc stuff goes I wouldn't get clarkdale over sandy bridge. Cost is almost exactly the same for much better performance. I have a clarkdale htpc and love it, but I plan to expand with more sandy bridge units. SageTV is what I use, but with the sale to google it isn't available to anyone anymore. MythTV is good and there are distro's that support HA, but I don't have any experience with them. Some HA systems support WMC. I think there are some that also support MediaPortal.

Back