• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HWmonitor package temp false readings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monodoggie

Registered
Problem is my FX8350 package temps drop to 19c, then suddenly jump to around 40c and then go pretty fast to 19c and then all over again. What could cause this kind of jumping? False readings by HWmonitor? This jumping up and down happens at idle. I have a cpu fan behind the mobo.

EDIT: Under Load the package temps raise really fast to around 70c, could this really be? Even with the fan exhausting hot air behind the mobo. I have OCd to 4.8Ghz @ 1,488V

Last edited:
Monodoggie, the Fx Cpu's a known for in accurate temperature readings below 40c hell mine idles at 8c in a 22c room. What is most important is what the temps are under load. If you're package temps are 70 'c, that is higher then most of us would recommend running. The fan behind the motherboard helps the Cpu Socket temp more then it helps the Package temp. If you're cooling it with the CM Seidon in your sig I'm surprised your temps are as low as 70 with 1.48 Cpu V.

Problem is my FX8350 package temps drop to 19c, then suddenly jump to around 40c and then go pretty fast to 19c and then all over again. What could cause this kind of jumping? False readings by HWmonitor? This jumping up and down happens at idle. I have a cpu fan behind the mobo. Sounds like you still have 'green stuff' turned on so the cpu tries to idle down and something says oh crap more work and up goes the speed and then surely the temps. Not false readings since any of us can setup our system where we see the same scenario.

EDIT: Under Load the package temps raise really fast to around 70c, could this really be? Even with the fan exhausting hot air behind the mobo. I have OCd to 4.8Ghz @ 1,488V Package temps are the CORE of the cpu temp. So it can certainly jump very very quickly. <62c is the max recommended for CORE_Package temps.

RGone...

I disabled cool and quiet and pretty much everything from the advanced tab in bios, but i'll take a look again tomorrow. Didn't realise the package temp stands for the core temp. I'll surely back the volts and clocks down. Was running reasonably cooler @ 4.5 with lower volts. Thanks for the info, really usefull.

The Cpu temp is the socket temp and the package is the core temp. As RGone said 62 c is recommended on the Cores and 70 on the socket.

These things run hot when they're turned up, most people cannot run in the 4.6+ range without big cooling.

Agree with that, it seems once you edge to 1.43v the fx8 just loves to get all hot and sweaty very quickly.

Back