• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hydor Seltz Problem + Maintenance Log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OcX

Hydor Seltz L35 - Age 3+ years strong

Did some Spring WC Cleaning and Maintenance and discovered I had a small breach on the inlet of my pump, where the Barb screws in to the Threads. The crack was on the outside part of the Female threads on the Pump Inlet. This caused the (15% Redline/85% Distilled) to leak out to form a pinkish-white paste as it dried. I was adding 3inches of Water to my T-Line per day when I noticed the paste.

untitledqd8.jpg

I tried to close the crease with a Soldering Iron which didn't work as the 1/2 Barb broke the weld when reattached. So I busted out the trusty Thread Tape and used a generous amount to patch the breach. So far so good. Extra Helping of Thread Tape ftw! But man did that freak me out for a minute, the sight of any leakage always rips me in the chest.

Background: Possible Reason: Recently I closed the Cap on my T-Line when Ambient temps were around 78F+. The pressure build up from increased heat could have caused a very small crack that has gone unnoticed, to expand. Won't be Capping my T-Line off completely again...

Storm Block Revision 1
Cleaned out the Storm block for the first time since I bought it 1.5 years ago. Some of the Jets were clogged, or had partial blockage. I was surprised at the amount of gunk that built up in the block, and how small the Jet Holes were. Seals looked good though, on everything including the Pump.

Tygon 3603:
Replaced all the Tubing as the old stuff was stained Orangish Red from the Redline, and 1.5+ years of service. Was it worth the price? Every Penny. The Barb ends were in good condition and weren't splitting or frayed.

Coat the area with Marine Goop RTV silicone or similar. That should prevent any further failure. I went ahead and did that sort of preventative maintenance (coating that whole area) when I changed the barbs on my Via.

I'm going to have just break down and get a new one. There is still a very minute amount of leakage, minute being almost invisible. Not a bad pump really, just need to use more common sense. I might have cracked it when installing the tubing on the barb, either way for $62 to replace for 3+ years of use I'm rep'n Hydor.

Back