• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper 212 buzzing noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Svnryn

Registered
Hi all,

Upgraded from a FX-4100 to a i5-3570k just before the New Year. About a week or two after doing so, there would be this loud buzzing noise coming from my rig upon start-up.

Once I shut down and waited for a few seconds, everything was fine on the next boot-up. Now whenever I've had the computer off for any extended time, it does this weird buzzing noise on start-up.

While I haven't exactly been able to pin it on my CM Hyper 212+ fan, the noise comes exactly from that spot in the case.

Also, this was never an issue with the FX-4100. However, I did notice in the BIOS that the fans are running MUCH faster than when the Bulldozer chip was in place (~1970 on idle with the Intel chip vs about ~900ish on idle with the AMD chip).

I do have two foam pads laying in the box with the additional fan mounts. Are these necessary for the included fan? If so, where do I mount them? No documentation how to install these on the stock fan in the included manual. Or maybe I should get an aftermarket fan?

TL;dr CM Hyper 212+ buzzing noise on start-up after upgrade. AMD chip prior to Intel chip didn't have issue. Difference of 1,000 RPM at idle between the two. How to solve? Set RPM parameters in BIOS or new fan?

Could be. PWM fans can go to full speed on boot then slow down. You have a minor vibration issue. Figure it out, play with the fan mount, wiggle it, make sure you got the fan install right.

Minor issue.

also, if you want to guarantee thats what its comming from, unplug the fan, reboot. See if the noise is made... If so, its not that fan... just shut it down pretty quick and plug it back in..

Back