• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper 212+ enough to get around 4Ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_j03_

Registered
Ok, so I've got currently AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3,5Ghz w/ stock cooler. So I'm here wondering that could I make it to around 4Ghz with CM hyper 212+ ?

My case is Antec Two Hundred, I've got fans in all slots so I got pretty decent airflow. My processor is very stable even though it's been unlocked to Quad and overclocked to 3,5Ghz with stock cooler. It has never crashed when I've run OCCT or prime95 for hours. With prime95 it's max temps are after 6hours about 58C. When gaming for hours, the max temps are hardly 50C so that is fine for me, not really bothered about the high temps.

It depends on how much Vcore will be required in order to hit 4.0Ghz stably, and what the loaded core temp's will be at that voltage w/ the 212+.

I have found that the Hyper 212 Plus leaves a bit of cooling performance on the table compared to more expensive coolers, but it's by no means a bad choice. Like others have said, it will depend on your processor's requirements for vcore to get to 4 GHz as to whether it will work.

I have found that the Hyper 212 Plus leaves a bit of cooling performance on the table compared to more expensive coolers, but it's by no means a bad choice. Like others have said, it will depend on your processor's requirements for vcore to get to 4 GHz as to whether it will work.
Ok, thanks.

Well maybe I'll try it with 212 first and if it won't work I'll buy better one later. There's just so little space in my case that I don't think ex. Mugen 2 (or other high-end coolers) would fit in there. Other coolers I've been thinking are cnps10x extreme and noctua nh-u12p.

Is 1.5v safe for Phenom II ?

My current voltage is 1.408v. When I take it over 3,55Ghz the auto mode sets voltages over 1.5v... And if I put manually volts to 1.435v there comes OC failed and over voltage failed when booting...

Auto settings are about the dumbest thing you can do on voltage when you're OCing. Dolk has a great phenom II ocing guide, you should read it.

Auto settings are about the dumbest thing you can do on voltage when you're OCing. Dolk has a great phenom II ocing guide, you should read it.
I know that, but this is damn weird. It's running fine with auto, but as soon as I manually change them it fails when booting and downloading windows?

You also might look at the TRUE Rev. C or Venomous X heatsinks. Both give substantially better performance and aren't too much wider than the Hyper 212 Plus. Another choice would be the Cogage True Spirit and also order the Thermalright AM2/AM3 mount for it, which will work with that heatsink just fine.

You also might look at the TRUE Rev. C or Venomous X heatsinks. Both give substantially better performance and aren't too much wider than the Hyper 212 Plus. Another choice would be the Cogage True Spirit and also order the Thermalright AM2/AM3 mount for it, which will work with that heatsink just fine.
Ok :)

I've got something weird going on here truly. I can't change vcore at all. It won't work if it is not in auto mode. Tried even with normal clock settings and 1.375v. The computer will boot itself when it gets to downloading windows :S anyone know why it might do this? Is the mobo broken or what the hell?

I haven't touched it before cause it hasn't done any problems yet. But now when I try to go over 3,55Ghz it makes vcore over 1.5v and I don't feel very safe...

Are you walking it in or just setting random (essentially) voltages and hoping it works?

Loaded defaults and tried to change vcore off from auto (1.375v) and still wont work... :shrug: It just wont allow to change it? Or am I doing something wrong :D

I think you'll have better luck in the AMD section...tell them your problem, processor, and motherboard and they should be able to help you out.

I had the same chip with stock 1.5v but i rma that chip and have new one set to me... Oh try better thermal compound like tunix-4 or something.. I had the cm hyper 212 and my cpu was unlocked to quad cores and oc to 4.025 ghz i think and the temp did not even touch 50 C when max stress out...

I had the same chip with stock 1.5v but i rma that chip and have new one set to me... Oh try better thermal compound like tunix-4 or something.. I had the cm hyper 212 and my cpu was unlocked to quad cores and oc to 4.025 ghz i think and the temp did not even touch 50 C when max stress out...
I dont yet have the 212 and looks like I wont need it since I cant touch the damn volts...

Yes we can!

Yes, it is possible. I have my 212+ with a push pull system from two fans. I overclocked the 955c3 to 4ghz on 1.45 volts and it is stable per prime 95 testing. temps are 30 idle-54 load. Pretty freaking good if you ask me. Hard to get anything above 4 though without hydro cooling.

Back