• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am confused as to why people ar e getten the slk800...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

it looks to me that it is only 2 degrees cooler then the sk-7 but costs 20$ more.....whats with that?

for me overclocking isn't there for the purpos of spending extra money. Granted sometimes u do have to spend a little more to get better performance, but there's a specific price point I try to hit with all the stuff I buy. Yes the slk800 is the better heatsink.

The real question is wether or not that 2 degrees is worth $20 to you.

Mizzery said:
The real question is wether or not that 2 degrees is worth $20 to you.

I'm sure there are ppl willing to pay the extra $20 for a few more mhz. Overclockers want to squeeze out every mhz they can and if takes paying an extra $20 for it, then I'd say it's worth it.

for me the differences between the stock intel cooler and the slk800 were about 9 degrees under load when i had my 1.6a @ 2500mhz.

i will be purchasing another slk800 for the p4 system as the other one was intended for my new amd system.

most definately worth it.

2*C gives you a huge edge in overclocking. It is the difference between sub 40*C and an unstable overclock. It is still a good $100 cheaper than going for all out watercooling and when you become an avid overclocker, you'll be looking for every single option that will give you an edge and if you're like most people, you'd want that edge for as cheap as you can get it without skimping on quality.

800 is good because its bigger i think then the 7, so i would say more room to disapate heat

Yea I think overclocking started out as a way to get more for the same amount of money, and now some people are spending alot more whereas they could just buy a way faster chip for the extra money they spend on cooling :), although I cant be one to speak i've done it too for the purpose of overclocking, it just seems odd.

slk800 plus fan is at most 60 bucks.

difference between p4 2.4b and 3.06 is like 400 dollars.

i don't see how anyone is spending more money doing the cooling way???

Maxvla said:
slk800 plus fan is at most 60 bucks.

difference between p4 2.4b and 3.06 is like 400 dollars.

i don't see how anyone is spending more money doing the cooling way???

I agree totally here with Maxvia.
Excellent point and well said.

A more efficient heatsink is better when coupled with a low CFM fan for quietness. I'm all for quietness, so the SLK-800 gets my nod.
And the size makes it a perfect match for a Panaflo L1A 80mm, which is one of the best combos wrt cooling/noise efficiency you'll find around.

reminds me of the mountain bike freaks. they will spend $70 on a pair of titanium bolts that will shed a half an ounce of weight of the bike. i think its wacky but its quite important to them. to each his own and go for it.

~z

with the slk800, my full load is between 29 and 32°C... but the 8rda lies a bit... (i am told)....

either way... the tornado and the slk800 makes a great combo- AWESOME cooling..

besides: you cna't put a 80mm fan on a slk7, can you??

dunno if i'll "upgrade" though

Where I've looked (newegg, for example) the bolt-on version of the SLK-800 and the SLK-900 are the same price, with the Vantec 92mm Tornado fan actually being CHEAPER than the 80mm one, so I think I'll just skip directly to the SLK-900. If you guys don't mind spending $50 on a heatsink and have a motherboard it's compatible with, it might be worth considering.

Maxvla said:
for me the differences between the stock intel cooler and the slk800 were about 9 degrees under load when i had my 1.6a @ 2500mhz.

i will be purchasing another slk800 for the p4 system as the other one was intended for my new amd system.

most definately worth it.
You and others might want to consider the SLK-900U for an option to the SLK-800 or Alpha 8942.

I just replaced my 8942 which I thought was great with the 900U and dropped my temps under load by 4C. Just installed a 92mm Panaflo (Quiet) and using Shin-Etsu Thermal Compound looks to be getting another 3-4C improvement (only 1 day of testing).

Back