• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am confused on what I need for an HTPC??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Ok I have been reading up on HTPC builds and stuff. I can pretty much fill in the blanks on most of the hardware, but there are some things I just have no idea which path to take, or even where to start.

Here is what I will be using my HTPC for.

1) Gaming - Mostly MMO's, and some single player games
2) DVR - so I need plenty of HD space probably
3) I want to hook up a set of Z-5500's to save some cost on a separate receiver.
4) Will be using my 19" LCD, along with a 42-46" LCD/Plasma 1080p TV. Will they work? I won't be using them at the same time, it'll be either monitor while gaming, or TV while watching... well TV.
5) Not even the slightest clue on which TV Tuner card to go with. I wanted to get an ATI AIW, but I see ATI isn't releasing there upper tier cards with that feature anymore.
6) Listening to some music, but not a lot.
7) What software would I need to buy to do everything I want? I am probably going with Vista Ultimate 64bit.
8) Will be running a Playstation 3, can I use that as a media center and just use my gaming computer to store the movies and stuff? Would I hook the PS3 up to the PC?

That pretty much sums it all up.

My follow up question is this...

Should I bother mixing a gaming PC, and an HTPC? Should I just avoid the HTPC all together, and get a surround sound setup w/receiver? I am not sure if I am just asking for more problems mixing the two? Maybe, should I build an el' cheapo HTPC and a really good gaming rig?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the best way to do this is but I'll share my way.

My HTPC is in my sig. I have a relatively quick C2D processor (any dual core that you can hit ~3ghz with should work fine though). If you want a good hybrid gaming/HTPC, go with an ATI card like the 4850. The good part about it is, depending on the game, you should be able to game on your HDTV instead of the monitor.

You shouldn't have any problems mixing the two. I have about 650gb of space and I am running out quickly. With the price of hard drives today I'd grab 2 1tb drives (or 1 OS drive and 1 1tb drive, however you want) and you should be good on space.

So as a parts list:

Any dual core C2D (depends on budget)
Minimal P35 motherboard should work perfect. You'll get your modest OC and optical out (for the Z-5500s).
2x2gb of RAM would probably be best.
Any combination of HDs yielding at least 1tb (could do RAID but it isn't required)
4850 (or 3870 if on a budget). Good thing about this is HDMI audio out if you want. It works great for me and I recommend it if you want to simplify your cabling.
Get a solid PSU with a 120mm fan (I use a 520HX and would recommend it)
Stay away from the AIW series as I don't think they do HDTV. I use an Avermedia Combi PCI-E 1x card and I love it. Another plus is it takes up a 1x slot that almost nothing else uses.

Let me share how I do my audio setup.

My HTPC does HDMI audio out to my HDTV. My X360 does the same. I use HD composite for the Wii. My HDTV has an optical out so I use that to send sound to the Z-5500s. The bonus is you don't have to change inputs every time you change the source.

I know this is all scattered, but I'm sick and drugged up. Bottom line is you can easily put together a hybrid gaming/HTPC computer. Depending on your budget you can make it robust or minimal.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you might have since this is a jumbled mess.

EDIT: And yes, use Vista Ultimate with VMC. I love it. It might not have the customization of other front ends but it worked great for me right out of the box and does "almost" everything I need it to do.

Back