• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am looking for a PC upgrade, help is more than welcome!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lancelot88

Registered
Hello everybody,

I have not made any posts yet on this forum because I only found out about it a few days ago. This was because I did my first OC. My specs are:

Asus AM2 M2N nforce 430 (90-MIB020-G0EAYGZ)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz AM2 65W Box (Brisbane)
Sapphire HD3850 256MB GDDR3
Kingston 2x1GB DDR2 SDRAM PC6400 CL5.0 (KVR800D2N5K2/2G)
Recom Power Engine 450W

I successfully OC-ed my system to 3.0Ghz and everything remained stable but I would like to get an upgrade, and I need your help.

I am looking for a motherboard which is OC stable (or how to say it) and a processor which can be OC-ed very well (Intel or AMD???). I already know which videocard I want, namely the MSI PCI-e Radeon HD4870 512MB DDR5 2xDVI/HDCP, but for the rest I am stuck!

I did some research on my own and found some motherboards which I was thinking about (only IF I am going for an AM* processor), for the processor I have no clue (wait for deneb and use my brisbane 5000+ for now, main question then is, can it handle the HD4870?):

MSI K9A2 Platinum
MSI K9A2 CF-F V2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD
Biostar TA790 GXA2

I would like to spend, apart from the videocard, about 300 dollars (if possible even cheaper) on the processor and motherboard. If someone can help me out with this and because I would like to make this thing last, future features like 750SB are welcome.

Awaiting some replies

Edit1: Is it useful to buy a CF motherboard if I purchase my 2nd HD4870 in like 6 - 10 months, or is it then of no use because there are single videocards then that perform better or equal to HD4870x2?

Edit2: I would like to play future games such as CoD5:World at War at high settings with a stable high fps.

Last edited:
Back