• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am looking for a PC upgrade, help is more than welcome!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea i mean as long as you know your gonna get a new one. What size do you plan to get eventually?

Enlighten me if you want to. Just not an expensive but decent monitor which can handle high resolution, no extra or special effects ;)

ok thanks!

so far I got this now:

Asus P5Q Pro iP45, SATA2 RAID, GLAN, 8CH €111,00
Cooler Master Powersupply Real Power M520 520W Modular €60,50
Corsair 2x1GB DDR2 SDRAM PC8500 CL5.0 TwX D. €43,50
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz 1333 6MB Box €167,50
MSI Videocard PCI-e Radeon HD4870 512MB DDR5 2xDVI/HDCP €221,50
Scythe Processor Cooler Mugen AMD & Intel €43,00

This all together is: €647,00 or $895.06

Could I possibly hold back on a few things or downgrade a bit because this is expensive in my eyes. Or is this sytem SO stable that it is not recommandable. If it is SO stable, could someone like downgrade everything a tinyyyyyy bit but will make the sytem still last long and be stable?

I am striving for like $650 - $700.

Or I could overclock later so that would remove the last 43,00 euros which makes it 600 euro / 830 Dollars

You should be able to find a good 512mb videocard for like 180 bucks. Down grade the card and you can go to the 8400 instead of the 8500 to save a few more bucks.

You should be able to find a good 512mb videocard for like 180 bucks. Down grade the card and you can go to the 8400 instead of the 8500 to save a few more bucks.

could you show me an example of a videocard so I have a start on what to compare it with...

The difference between the E8400 and E8500 is only like 16 euros, so 22 dollars. But like shorting on the videocard which is the most important component in gaming, would not be smart right? Can't I downgrade like the PSU and the motherboard? Or would that not be smart either, seeing everything is attached to the motherboard and making it a limiting factor would make the whole system suffer for like 50 bucks difference. And shorting back in the PSU would create imbalance in the system.

So what I am looking for is maybe another PSU, motherboard, and videocard which are all cheaper but only a BIT slower then what I have now. If this is not possible, meaning that it would be smart to change processor aswell, please tell me and give me a suggestion.

I would like to have 2 full options of one cheaper and a bit less good system compared to a more expensive and a bit better system.

I got my expensive one, now the cheaper one. Help?! :cry:

+1 for the 8400, is the same as 8500 except that is clocked to 3.0 instead of 3.1, if you are overclocking and you probably will then you can save with the 8400.

Also the monitor resolution thing goes like this, his monitor max resolution is 1680x1050 but it won't scale well, how do I know this? I have a 17" CRT same as him, only that my normal res is 1152x864 (although I always use 1024) , I can manually change it to 1680 and it will work but it doesn't look good and most programs won't even display that option.

could you show me an example of a videocard so I have a start on what to compare it with...

The difference between the E8400 and E8500 is only like 16 euros, so 22 dollars. But like shorting on the videocard which is the most important component in gaming, would not be smart right? Can't I downgrade like the PSU and the motherboard? Or would that not be smart either, seeing everything is attached to the motherboard and making it a limiting factor would make the whole system suffer for like 50 bucks difference. And shorting back in the PSU would create imbalance in the system.

So what I am looking for is maybe another PSU, motherboard, and videocard which are all cheaper but only a BIT slower then what I have now. If this is not possible, meaning that it would be smart to change processor aswell, please tell me and give me a suggestion.

I would like to have 2 full options of one cheaper and a bit less good system compared to a more expensive and a bit better system.

I got my expensive one, now the cheaper one. Help?! :cry:

EDIT: I just checked and if I click 1600x1200 in SWAT4 it automatically puts it back to 1280x1024 when I play. So 1280x1024 is my max. I will grab a cheap *** monitor from an internet site which is probably 2nd hand, but that doesn't matter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161243
You can go cheaper then this if you wanted to.
+1 for the 8400, is the same as 8500 except that is clocked to 3.0 instead of 3.1, if you are overclocking and you probably will then you can save with the 8400.

Also the monitor resolution thing goes like this, his monitor max resolution is 1680x1050 but it won't scale well, how do I know this? I have a 17" CRT same as him, only that my normal res is 1152x864 (although I always use 1024) , I can manually change it to 1680 and it will work but it doesn't look good and most programs won't even display that option.
Yea it should display a higher res if you set it but it would evetually burn out the monitor.

if you are going to be gaming a 1024 then just get a used 8800GT for $90 and save your money for a better monitor and video card down the line. At 4870 at that resolution is not just overkill but a waste of money. If it takes you a year to get the monitor even a 4870 will be at least a generation old, and at the ~$100-~$150 price point. So you will have spend double the money with essentially no benefit. in general future proofing is a bad idea, especially when it costs you. But to satisfy your needs and not what you may or may not need in 6 months to a year.

if you are going to be gaming a 1024 then just get a used 8800GT for $90 and save your money for a better monitor and video card down the line. At 4870 at that resolution is not just overkill but a waste of money. If it takes you a year to get the monitor even a 4870 will be at least a generation old, and at the ~$100-~$150 price point. So you will have spend double the money with essentially no benefit. in general future proofing is a bad idea, especially when it costs you. But to satisfy your needs and not what you may or may not need in 6 months to a year.

Good point you made! Under gaming a 1024 you mean 1280x1024 right? or do you mean 1024x768?

Good point you made! Under gaming a 1024 you mean 1280x1024 right? or do you mean 1024x768?

No not a good point. Hes buying a good monitor down the line to play at 1680x1050. The videocard isnt over kill, you missed the recent posts. Hes upgrading his monitor when he has money and if he buys the card now he doesnt have to change it with his monitor. If he bout an 8800gt it would be a waste because hes gonna buy a new monitor.

We already went over everythign you said. Hes buying a good monitor down the line to play at 1680x1050. The videocard isnt over kill, you missed the recent posts. Hes upgrading his monitor when he has money and buy the card now so he doesnt have to change it with his monitor. If he bout an 8800gt it would be a waste because hes gonna buy a new monitor.

RaV3N thanks for your contribution again. I think ou_phidelt didn't misread or skip a few lines. What he is saying is that when I buy a monitor in say half a year I will not benefit from what I purchase now, by that time the HD4870 will be "old" and then I have spend like 100 bucks for nothing because my monitor could not handle it. He is saying like buy a cheaper videocard now, so that, as you buy a new monitor, you can buy a new videocard and leave the rest of your system the same.

But I was just wondering, this system seems like higggggggh. If I want to play the new games, CoD5, CoD4, etc. on like 125 - 250 fps, do I really need this to run it or will a cheaper motherboard and cheaper processor etc. do the work? if so, what processor, motherboard and videocard etc. will do that work?

RaV3N thanks for your contribution again. I think ou_phidelt didn't misread or skip a few lines. What he is saying is that when I buy a monitor in say half a year I will not benefit from what I purchase now, by that time the HD4870 will be "old" and then I have spend like 100 bucks for nothing because my monitor could not handle it. He is saying like buy a cheaper videocard now, so that, as you buy a new monitor, you can buy a new videocard and leave the rest of your system the same.

But I was just wondering, this system seems like higggggggh. If I want to play the new games, CoD5, CoD4, etc. on like 125 - 250 fps, do I really need this to run it or will a cheaper motherboard and cheaper processor etc. do the work? if so, what processor, motherboard and videocard etc. will do that work?

Partly correct but still your wasting money when you shouldnt be. My point is buy that card now and dont worry about spending more becuase thats card is all you need to handle the new monitor you buy. Its not like if you buy it later your gonna get a card that performs better. At that resolution all you need is a decent 512mb card. Much isnt gonna change in 6 months or so.So you would be watsing more money his way and going through extra parts. If thats the case, dont buy anything till you can afford all of it together.

To save some cash, get a Radeon 4850 card and the Intel 8400 CPU.

Eg. of the card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102770

Will still drive your new bigger monitor plenty fine for most games.

thats some good advice steve! I went from 647,00 euro to 553,00 euro.
Do you also now a cheaper PSU / CPU cooler / motherboard? Without decreasing too much? The CPU cooler and stuff should make a good and decent OC possible. Be aware that I am not gonna use water or other stuff to make it cool easily and thereby OC-ing it more. I am only gonna use the CPU cooler.

Like i originaly said????;) And going any cheaper on the psu is a big mistake. You got as cheap as you can go. I dont think your gonna find a P45 board any cheap. Its not a good idea to go as cheap as you can when your planning to overclock.

Like i originaly said????;) And going any cheaper on the psu is a big mistake. You got as cheap as you can go.

cool thanks! then I think that will be it! Will update if I have any questions, for now everybody thank you and especially you RaV3N :clap:

Back