• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am stuck at 4.5ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

I am just stuck in a wall, can't get a solid, stable overclock over 4.5. My 4.5 uses barely over stock voltage (1.356v), no other settings changed, temps are super cool all the time. Clearly not a thermal limit of any kind :shrug: I tried some... "interesting" techniques (read: ignorant and unsafe), but those are not what Im willing to do to get a stable clock.

That said, my ram is 8gb of ... 533mhz ram... Is it potentially limiting my overclocking potential? I can NOT get over 4.5 stable (I can "stabilize" 4.6, and I can "run" higher, but it craps out pretty quickly on p95 testing).

FX-8320 3.5stock, 4.5 overclock STABLE
m5a97 LE R2.0
8gb ddr3 crucial pc3-8500 ram 533mhz
750 psu corsair
Hyper 212 evo cooler
arctic silver TIC

Other than that, Im unsure what else could be holding me back. the motherboard perhaps? I've been spending a lot of time lately trying to dial this thing in, and I know its capable of more, I just dont know how.

You sure you don't have cores dropping out in p95 blend?? I have an 8320 in a sabortooth and I had to go to 1.4v @4.5 any thing less and it would drop cores during p95 blend. I didn't try to go past 4.5ghz but yah I would guess your mobo is going to limit you but I'm sure some of the others will confirm that or not. still learning myself well good luck.

I believe your limiting factor is the motherboard: not enough power phases (VRM's) to sustain a 4.5+ OC.

you need something like a Sabertooth 990FX r2 for high OC with these power hungry chips.

You sure you don't have cores dropping out in p95 blend?? I have an 8320 in a sabortooth and I had to go to 1.4v @4.5 any thing less and it would drop cores during p95 blend. I didn't try to go past 4.5ghz but yah I would guess your mobo is going to limit you but I'm sure some of the others will confirm that or not. still learning myself well good luck.

Im pretty positive lol. Ran prime 95 blend for 6 hours last night, thats enough for me to call it stable. Yeah yeah "but what about 12/24+ hours"... well, I dont run my computer at 100% for 12 hours, so six is plenty for me. Max temp was 61c. My idle is around 28-30c. I just feel this chip is capable of much more than what im getting out of it haha.

I believe your limiting factor is the motherboard: not enough power phases (VRM's) to sustain a 4.5+ OC.

you need something like a Sabertooth 990FX r2 for high OC with these power hungry chips.

Allright, I don't see one of those on newegg, any other comparables? If 4.5 is my limit, Im gonna drop it back down to 4.3 I think. Ran 4.3ghz at one increment over stock voltage, and the benchmark scores were appreciably close ([email protected] vs [email protected] on geekbench3) so would you recommend I just run 4.3?

Last edited:
th e12/24 hours has nothing to do with running your computer for 1 month in non stop or less than 10 minutes.

The signs of instability a 12 hrs run show can cause a blue screen or a reboot after a couple of minutes of "normal" use.

+1 to that Manu, I'm surprised you got as far as you did with that 4 phase board.
Im pretty positive lol. Ran prime 95 blend for 6 hours last night, thats enough for me to call it stable. Yeah yeah "but what about 12/24+ hours"... well, I dont run my computer at 100% for 12 hours, so six is plenty for me. Max temp was 61c. My idle is around 28-30c. I just feel this chip is capable of much more than what im getting out of it haha.

Allright, I don't see one of those on newegg, any other comparables? If 4.5 is my limit, Im gonna drop it back down to 4.3 I think. Ran 4.3ghz at one increment over stock voltage, and the benchmark scores were appreciably close ([email protected] vs [email protected] on geekbench3) so would you recommend I just run 4.3?

You mention a temp of 61 but is that the core temp or socket temp?? You might just be better off keeping the clock down if you're planning on getting another board. I did see that the Sabertooth is out of stock. We've seen some preliminaries with the Gigabyte UD3 rev4 that look good. It seems they have their throttling problem resolved. So this may be a good alternative. There's also the CHV-z and the Asrock ext 9 .
These processors need a ton of "good" power to sustain any higher clocks, so as Manu says a better board is needed. I use a CHV-z and a Sabertooth R2. They are both very capable of handling the 8core CPUs.

+1 to that Manu, I'm surprised you got as far as you did with that 4 phase board.

You mention a temp of 61 but is that the core temp or socket temp?? You might just be better off keeping the clock down if you're planning on getting another board. I did see that the Sabertooth is out of stock. We've seen some preliminaries with the Gigabyte UD3 rev4 that look good. It seems they have their throttling problem resolved. So this may be a good alternative. There's also the CHV-z and the Asrock ext 9 .
These processors need a ton of "good" power to sustain any higher clocks, so as Manu says a better board is needed. I use a CHV-z and a Sabertooth R2. They are both very capable of handling the 8core CPUs.

Core temp, not socket temp lol. Besides, when I get over 60c on my cpu I really get antsy. I don't like pushing limits when I know better lol.

well here, at 4.3ghz, p95 hit a whopping 55c over almost 8 hours. I will leave this here until I get a better mobo.

s6gh.png

Core temp, not socket temp lol. Besides, when I get over 60c on my cpu I really get antsy. I don't like pushing limits when I know better lol.

well here, at 4.3ghz, p95 hit a whopping 55c over almost 8 hours. I will leave this here until I get a better mobo.

s6gh.png
55c on the socket it's bad you still have some headroom. You could always put a fan blowing on the backside of the motherboard to help get that temp down a bit.

Meh, Im not concerned really, my idle is below 30c and during strenuous gaming sessions hasn't gotten over 44c. That said, I was under the impression "package" was the socket temp? Im guessing thats wrong?

Im dabbling on a water cooling solution, but I don't think its necessary until I get a new mobo anyway :-/

Don't bother looking at idle temperatures, the temp sensor is inaccurate below 40c. My 8350 idles at 6-10c which is impossible because I'm using ambient cooling.

Back