• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Build My Loop Tomorrow. A Few Questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tenub

Registered
Hello,

I posted a thread asking advice about my new system and new water cooling loop here:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656671

For those too lazy to click here is what I ordered:

Code:
[B][U]FrozenCPU[/U][/B]
$71.95 - [URL="http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8525/ex-blc-569/EK_Supreme_HF_Universal_CPU_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Rev_2_-_Acetal_Sockets_775_1156_1366_939_940_754_AM2_AM2_AM3.html"]EK Supreme HF Rev 2 Acetal[/URL]

[B][U]Petra's Tech Shop[/U][/B]
$65.95 - [URL="http://www.petrastechshop.com/lad5smcin12v.html"]Laing D5 Basic/Swiftech MCP655-B Inline 12V DC Pump[/URL]
$49.95 - [URL="http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcqposerab1.html"]Swiftech MCR320-QP Quiet Power 3X120mm - Matte Black[/URL]
$22.95 - [URL="http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcmirere.html"]Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Rev2 Reservoir[/URL]
$3.00 - [URL="http://www.petrastechshop.com/heclnyhoclsi3.html"]Herbie Clip® Nylon Hose Clamp Size H - Black[/URL]

[B][U]Jab-tech[/U][/B]
$18.00 - [URL="http://www.jab-tech.com/PrimoFlex-Pro-LRT-Black-Tubing-1-2in.-ID-X-3-4in.-OD-pr-4190.html"]PrimoFlex Pro LRT Black Tubing - 1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD[/URL] (10 feet)
$3.95 - [URL="http://www.jab-tech.com/Antimicrobial-Silver-Strip-pr-4530.html"]Antimicrobial Silver Strip[/URL] (8" Silver Strip)
$11.00 - [URL="http://www.jab-tech.com/Bitspower-G1-4-Matt-Black-1-2-Fitting-BP-MBWP-C01-pr-4516.html"]Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black 1/2" Fitting[/URL] (4 of them)
$9.90 - [URL="http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120mm-Case-Fan-D12SH-12-High-Speed-pr-3771.html"]YATE LOON 120mm Case Fan - D12SH-12 - High Speed[/URL] (3 of them)

I just had a few last minute questions before I put everything together tomorrow and leak test:

#1 I will be top mounting my radiator inside my HAF 932. I've come to the conclusion that the optimal configuration is to have the radiator mounted just below the top of the case with my three fans pulling air downward and being swept out by the exhaust fan in the rear of the case. Is this correct?

#2 I wanted to try and fit both my pump and reservoir inside my drive bay area to keep as much of the interior as clean looking as possible. I will only be using one 5.25" drive bay for my burner. I'd imagine it may be a tight fit but if it all manages to fit then is there any downside to having minimal tubing between the reservoir and pump so long as the reservoir is above the pump? I'm talking like just enough to connect the two without the occurrence of kinks since space will be limited. Or would it be better to have the pump at the floor of my case with a longer tubing length between the pump and reservoir, or does it simply not matter?

#3 When preparing my radiator and water block I intend just to use hot distilled water. Is this okay? If so, what would be the best and easiest way to heat my gallon jugs? For the radiator I'll just flush it repeatedly until clear water comes out. For my EK Supreme HF what would be the best way to prepare it? Will I need any rubbing alcohol or anything else before starting? I'll have latex gloves and a full kitchen and bathroom available as well as new ArctiClean 1 & 2 bottles (2 is a thermal surface purifier).

Thanks in advance!

#1 I will be top mounting my radiator inside my HAF 932. I've come to the conclusion that the optimal configuration is to have the radiator mounted just below the top of the case with my three fans pulling air downward and being swept out by the exhaust fan in the rear of the case. Is this correct?

the best configuration is with the rads getting ambient air, not case air

#2 I wanted to try and fit both my pump and reservoir inside my drive bay area to keep as much of the interior as clean looking as possible. I will only be using one 5.25" drive bay for my burner. I'd imagine it may be a tight fit but if it all manages to fit then is there any downside to having minimal tubing between the reservoir and pump so long as the reservoir is above the pump? I'm talking like just enough to connect the two without the occurrence of kinks since space will be limited. Or would it be better to have the pump at the floor of my case with a longer tubing length between the pump and reservoir, or does it simply not matter?

you should be fine, shorter tubing length is just generally better...have you seen divvichild's build? I think that was done there.

#3 When preparing my radiator and water block I intend just to use hot distilled water. Is this okay? If so, what would be the best and easiest way to heat my gallon jugs? For the radiator I'll just flush it repeatedly until clear water comes out. For my EK Supreme HF what would be the best way to prepare it? Will I need any rubbing alcohol or anything else before starting? I'll have latex gloves and a full kitchen and bathroom available as well as new ArctiClean 1 & 2 bottles (2 is a thermal surface purifier).

using distilled only is a great idea :thup: Best way to heat it is just in a big pot or something.

Cleaning cpu blocks is pretty straightforward, ketchup and a toothbrush as per the sticky. there are certain things taht you need to watch with the acrylic...I can never remember what they are, but I wanna say rubbing alcohol is one of them (someone who knows will tell you)

You don't need to use distilled water for a rinse. Sink water is fine, rinse with distilled when done. Have you read this yet? It covers everything you need to build the loop.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631501

Your correct on the fans, your using cool room air to cool the rad, correct?

BTW, having 3 intake fans and just one outtake/exhuast fan is going to restrict your airflow. The air coming in through the rad 3X fans with 1X for exhaust isn't going to be optimal. You might think of, if you haven't already the basic physics of airflow.

Mor, don't need kechup when you build your first loop...............

Yes, my fans should be pulling cool air from the room through the radiator and consequently through the top of the HAF 932 ventilation.

I realize one exhaust fan isn't going to get all of the air out but it's the best I can do with my case I think. It's got a 140mm fan in the rear.

I'm open to alternate suggestions on loop configuration in a HAF 932 if they will produce better results.

You don't need to use distilled water for a rinse. Sink water is fine, rinse with distilled when done. Have you read this yet? It covers everything you need to build the loop.

So you're saying to thoroughly rinse my water block with distilled water without taking it apart and that hot sink water is fine to clear my radiator out as long as I finish it with a few rinses of normal distilled water?

how bout reversing it so the 230 in front is exhaust and the back/top are intake...this will supply your non-wc'd components with cold air and maintain pretty equal pressure. You could also put the 230 from the top on the side as an exhaust with little to no modification.

Unfortunately I have the Black Edition which doesn't seem to have the side panel mounting holes that the regular version does have. Pay $10 extra and receive somewhat less, go figure.

I do like the idea of reversing the upright mounted fans though (rear/front). The only problem I could think of is that my hard drives may not be as cool as if the front fan is intaking cool air directly over them. Thanks m0r7if3r. :)

Yes, my fans should be pulling cool air from the room through the radiator and consequently through the top of the HAF 932 ventilation.

I realize one exhaust fan isn't going to get all of the air out but it's the best I can do with my case I think. It's got a 140mm fan in the rear.

I'm open to alternate suggestions on loop configuration in a HAF 932 if they will produce better results.

So you're saying to thoroughly rinse my water block with distilled water without taking it apart and that hot sink water is fine to clear my radiator out as long as I finish it with a few rinses of normal distilled water?

It's all in the link, have a read...................

I just did my HAF 932 this weekend. My res got mounted in the 5.25 drive bay slots (I use an external disc drive.) with my pump directly below it in the top 3 3.5 bays. I don't really need that space for anything else, and it keeps the case clean. I burned a dremel and 4 cut wheels doing two simple holes though, the HAF is tough, so if you intend to modify it keep that in mind. Does your HAF have a side or front fan? You can turn them to exhaust from the case. Right now I have my side and front fans pulling air and my top/ back fan exhausting. My rad is about as big as the HAF itself though, it's mounted with standoffs to the side of the case.

So I noticed that several fins throughout my MCR320 are ever so slightly bent. However I didn't notice or even bother to look until after I did the first rinse with hot tap water. I highly doubt that my gentle shaking and rotating caused this because I carefully held the radiator on its sides. Will performance be severely impacted and should I RMA it?

So I noticed that several fins throughout my MCR320 are ever so slightly bent. However I didn't notice or even bother to look until after I did the first rinse with hot tap water. I highly doubt that my gentle shaking and rotating caused this because I carefully held the radiator on its sides. Will performance be severely impacted and should I RMA it?

Bent fins on radiators are fairly common (thin material bends easy) unless a large portion or one entire side is bent I would just unbend them and use it. (but that's just me)

So I finally did it after like 5 hours of working on it. Now I'm just waiting 24 hours for the leak test!

Two questions though, every so often I'll hear a little clicking or what sounds like air passing through the loop (pump?). Is this okay? It happens maybe once every minute, maybe slightly less. I pinched the tubing and I tapped the tubing, radiator and case. I tilted my case in every direction about 45 degrees at most. I did all this for what seemed like 30 minutes until my fingers became tender and painful to the touch.

Edit: this seems to be occurring less and less often now.

The other question is, how full should my reservoir be? Near completely full of water? Half full? 3/4 full? I'm testing now with only a small air pocket near the top, so I filled it pretty full.

that's just air goin through the pump, it'll get less and less over time...and you've done the tricks. If it gets bad, do em again!

res level doesn't matter, but in this case where you have it should be fine, you may need to top it off because as the air bleeds the level will drop slightly and it's there for a buffer against the air bleeding.

I think by the time it gets through the rad it would have cooled down too much to be of use! :) By the way, my clear tubing has gotten so cloudy lately... must be all the plasticizers like Conumdrum says.

filling doesn't matter what temp the water is...long as it's not refrigerated or smn that would cause condensation. BUT when you clean the components before hand it's recommended that you use hot water...just so that that's abundantly clear.

Hi again. I'm very pleased with my loop. Highest stable clock on my 930 is 4515MHz @ 1.49V and it caps at ~75C under full load in LinX. Currently running 4.2GHz @ 1.325V however because I like to play it safe. Temps max out at ~64C. :)

:cough: pictures :cough:

sounds like you've got a pretty decent 930 there, some of em won't reach 4.5 at all, let alone stable. You got HT on?

Back