• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Did Something Very, Very Bad Today

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

It_The_Cow

For some reason I can't load Windows 98. All I did was move a single system file. The one for the Startup Screen. Now whenever I try to boot from DOS, I get a 'himem.sys is missing. Check to make sure it is in your Windows Directory' I'm not sure what to do now. All I get is an 'Invalid Disk Error' now. Before, I could load Windows with CD-Rom support.

If the only way out is to re-install windows, please tell me any DOS commands to copy files onto another hard drive, if there are any

If you just reinstall with out formatting it doesn't get rid of all your old files....it won't even change your settings in Windows. Just recopies files that you may have updated or whatever. :)

I just want to make absolute sure of this. Just run Windows Setup and I'll be fine, right

Update

Yes!! Startup disk, copied the system files, and everything was fine again. A note to everyone, Startup Disks are invaluable. Yes, yes yes!! I'm back and folding again. I'm so happy :D :) :D :) (Note to self, install Norton Ghost and backup files)

Last edited:
It_The_Cow said:
I just want to make absolute sure of this. Just run Windows Setup and I'll be fine, right

Update

Yes!! Startup disk, copied the system files, and everything was fine again. A note to everyone, Startup Disks are invaluable. Yes, yes yes!! I'm back and folding again. I'm so happy :D :) :D :) (Note to self, install Norton Ghost and backup files)

Yep, I can't count the number of times I've done that or the number of times I've deleted win.com so I could get a completely fresh install without formatting. Makes my life easy. :)

Back