• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I dont understand why my CS:S framerates are so crappy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

With my laptop my framerates can never get that high, it seems like im running between 20 and 50 depending on the scenario, 50 I can live with but that seems to be my high, 20 is my low, that is with all settings turned on high, simple reflections no aa or af, resolution of 1680x1050

so I tried turning down the settings, I put them all at low, and 800x600 res and that got me maybe aother 7-10 fps.

this seems odd to me as my old comp played cs:s significantly better. This comp is Dell 9300, 1.2 gigs of ram, 6800go at 757/357, 1.6 ghz pentium-m cpu.

My old computer was a AMD xp-m 2500 @ 2.35, 768 megs of ram, 9800 pro at 425/385, on this comp I got always at least 40fps or so

the only place i can figure out where my laptop is worse than my old desktop is cpu, but the dothan cant be THAT much worse than the amd 2500 can it, am I really that cpu limited?

Every other game works quite a bit better than on my old comp, except CS:S, farcry works WAY better, Doom 3 works WAY better, but CS:S works quite a bit worse, why?

BTW, my computer is hardly running any processes in the background, and has no spyware/adware/viruses that I know of?

Im currently using the lastest dell drivers which are not that new, I know, will updating my graphics drivers help that much? should I upgrade to the 80 series of drivers?

That's strange!

With the rig in my sig I can play with practically everything maxed and my FPS varies between 70-100.

I know it might sound stupid but, are you possibly playing CS:S with the laptop not plugged in? The whole cpu clocking back when on battery, just a thought...

As for drivers, I'm using the 77.77s and running just fine.

Im positive my laptop is plugged in as I havnt moved it and its been running 24/7 for the last week

I tried the forceware 81.84s but they gave me no performance gain and the official nvidia drivers dont do 2 monitors as well as the dell ones do (I would rather use the lastest drivers, but without the dell ones, I have problems with 2 monitors)

70-100 is about what I would expect but I get way lower

Im almost getting crappier performance than my brother gets on his comp and he is running a stock 2400+ , 512 megs of ram, and a 5200fx

Last edited:
TheGreySpectre said:
With my laptop my framerates can never get that high, it seems like im running between 20 and 50 depending on the scenario, 50 I can live with but that seems to be my high, 20 is my low, that is with all settings turned on high, simple reflections no aa or af, resolution of 1680x1050

so I tried turning down the settings, I put them all at low, and 800x600 res and that got me maybe aother 7-10 fps.

this seems odd to me as my old comp played cs:s significantly better. This comp is Dell 9300, 1.2 gigs of ram, 6800go at 757/357, 1.6 ghz pentium-m cpu.

My old computer was a AMD xp-m 2500 @ 2.35, 768 megs of ram, 9800 pro at 425/385, on this comp I got always at least 40fps or so

the only place i can figure out where my laptop is worse than my old desktop is cpu, but the dothan cant be THAT much worse than the amd 2500 can it, am I really that cpu limited?

Every other game works quite a bit better than on my old comp, except CS:S, farcry works WAY better, Doom 3 works WAY better, but CS:S works quite a bit worse, why?

BTW, my computer is hardly running any processes in the background, and has no spyware/adware/viruses that I know of?

Im currently using the lastest dell drivers which are not that new, I know, will updating my graphics drivers help that much? should I upgrade to the 80 series of drivers?

The Dothan is one of the best CPU's on the market currently.

yes I have tried reinstalling CS:S

and yes i am are that although my cpu runs at 1.6 GHZ it works far better than anything else at 1.6GHZ as far as im concerned it really should almost be the same or better than my 2500mobile, but if it is than EVERYTHING in my laptop is better than in my old desktop and there is no reason at all I can think of why I get the frame rates that I do

strange my comp plays CS S @ 1280x960 High everything, reflect all, 4x TSAA, 16x AF and it barely breaks a sweat min fps is like 50

grayg said:
strange my comp plays CS S @ 1280x960 High everything, reflect all, 4x TSAA, 16x AF and it barely breaks a sweat min fps is like 50

no one cares...

lol, you have a 7800gt on a desktop

Far too many people are asking 'why doesn't wolfenstein 3d get good framerates on my IBM mainframe?' type questions, I think we should do a sticky for common game problems with a checklist of all the usual silly things that people sometimes miss like, defrag, use driver cleaner reinstall the latest drvs, try running a virtual drive.

The 6800go to my knowledge is essentially the same thing as a normal 6800 for a desktop which is better than a 6600gt which is better than my 9800 pro, it should be 4 pipes and 200mhz better than my 9800pro
I have 512megs MORE ram on my laptop
I suppose I have a slower harddrive, 5400rpm on my laptop, but that shouldnt matter except for loading levels
iI did some googleing and it seems people agree on the 1.6Ghz 533mhz fsb Pentium Ms perform about the same as 2.4-2.8 Pentium 4s, which theoreticly is about the range my 2500 should have fallen under, maybe it would have been a tiny bit faster, but not much
I know HL2 tends to be ATI optimized but a 6800go should not get outperformed by a 9800pro I dont think.

Are there tweaks Im missing or something, why does does it perform crappy

I have tried reinstalling cs:s and steam
I have tried running the latest nvidia drivers, neither seemed to help

>HyperlogiK< said:
Far too many people are asking 'why doesn't wolfenstein 3d get good framerates on my IBM mainframe?' type questions, I think we should do a sticky for common game problems with a checklist of all the usual silly things that people sometimes miss like, defrag, use driver cleaner reinstall the latest drvs, try running a virtual drive.

Hmm, you must be doing something wrong, Wolfenstein runs great on my mainframe.

:p

>HyperlogiK< said:

Its a new comp so defrag is probably out of the question, he installed the latest drivers, and a virtual drive would do nothing for cs:s. Hes just looking for help like the other 95% of the people on this forum :shrug:

Run 3Dmark03 and 05. Give us your score. Curious to see if your graphics card is working properly. My 7800GT scores 15200 in 03, and 7250 in 05.

this is a little off-topic but if you have a 400fsb cpu, then you could easily pin-mod it to 2.1GHz 533fsb. There are many people here with DELL9300s doing it. I tried googling it, but couldn't find the actual guide, just posts of poeple's experience with doing it. Its definetly floating around though.

I have the same problem. Source is a very demanding game on the CPU. Try playing on small 10PPl servers and you will see your preformace is better. That 1.6 is pretty slow. If you pin mod to like 2.26 I am betting you will see a major boost. My fps are good, but it skips, and generally feels sluggish. But its only with CS Source do I have this very same issue on my 9300.

for some reason no matter what with setting the video stress test is topping out at 90fps

here is what I get with FPS at different settigns:
Resolution 1680x1050 1280x1024 1024x768 800x600 640x480
Model Detail high high high high low
Texture Detail high high high high low
Shader Detail high high high high low
Water Detail simple simple simple simple simple
Shdow Detail high high high high low
AA 0 0 0 0 0
Filtering Bilinear Bilinear Bilinear Bilinear Bilinear
Vsync no no no no no
HDR full full full full full
FPS 59.02 79.22 89.16 89.26 89.35

for some reason I cant get above 90, now I know 90 sounds good, but from my experiance what you get in the stress test is way higher than what you get in game, or at least in the demanding parts of the game like when you have a lot of people

I need to run them agian to confirm, but I belive my 3dmark scores are
2k1 15500
2k3 7000
2k5 3000

Ill post agian in a little while what my actual scores are when i retest

Ok I guess ill try the 77.77s, as of right now I'm running the latest dell drivers bcause the official nvidia drivers seem to hate dual monitors for the 6800go, I belive the latest dell drivers are based off of the 77.76s

and the comp was recently defragged

I wouldnt mind knowing why I top out at 90fps, my old computer got 106fps with all high settings at 1280x1024

what program can i use to find out what my bottle neck is (i think its my cpu but I want to confirm)

Alucard said:
Its a new comp so defrag is probably out of the question, he installed the latest drivers, and a virtual drive would do nothing for cs:s. Hes just looking for help like the other 95% of the people on this forum :shrug:

I din't just mean those, I was just giving examples, I was suggesting that we compile a big and comprehensive list of all the common but silly little config problems that we all overlook sometimes, and that are usually at the root of these kind of problems.

Back