• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I finally joined up with some distributed computing...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

And I chose SETI! I'm not gonna run 24/7 or build a seti farm, so don't get your hopes up as far as the team goes, I just did it because I figured OCing my chip like mad is kinda useless if all it does it drive winamp and IE half the time. Also, I've always supported the work of SETI, now my chance to acctually participate. So I said, "Hey, why not?"

One thing, can I be gaming or anything like that while this is in the background? Does it hurt performance? How does that work? I set it's priority to 'low' and everthing, but I don't wanna be lagging in games and everything. Thanks guys!

--Illah

As long as you have your client's priority set to "low", it will back off by itself whenever you need the CPU for more intensive tasks. It just uses whatever cycles you don't need. Make sure you are using the CLC with SETI Driver though, not the screensaver version.

In low priority mode it will only ever take the spare CPU cycles, so it wont affect your gaming etc. Dont bother setting it to medium or higher.

Motherboard Monitor seems to slow down the comp more!

WELCOME TO THE TEAM!!

As long as you leave it on the low setting youll never know its there. It only uses whatever cycles are wasted.

WELCOME to the TEAM!!!

The only time I turn off SETI is if I start making "coasters" with my CD burner... I burn a LOT of CDs and it is rare, but happens especially with music... otherwise I can frag like there's no tomorrow & never notice it's running when set to "low"...

Welcome to the Best Seti Team to Crunch for!!!

Every wu counts, its just that some people get a little bit carried away.......since I'm one of 'em, I can say that;)

Glad to have you both with us, check out the OC Seti Team site, and have some fun!

I have rarely found anything that requires me to shut Seti down, but I do switch it to LOW priority when I'm doing a lot on my main rig.

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!!

Don't be afraid.... We're only infecious :D We'll soon have you change that "not 24/7" statement.... It's all a matter of time :)

Have fun, and once again, welcome to the best SETI team out there!!!

JigPu

Heh, with two delta 92mm case fans and a vantec tornado on my CPU it ain't gonna be 24/7 anytime soon... In my tiny apartment we have to keep the machine in the bedroom. Once the nForce2's and DDRII come out I'm planning a major upgrade around October, probably gonna try my hand at watercooling (and use spare parts to build a second machine for my girlfriend, I don't think she'd mind SETI either), then I might have it 24/7.

--Illah

Welcome aboard.

I personly turn SETI off on my main rig when I am gaming. I don't notice any lag in the games when it is on, but I only crunch about 1% an hour. That kills my average WU time.
Just my 2 cents.

Back