• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have a P7P55D PRO (asus) but need some help on overclocking...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heyjoojoo

Registered
I have the bundled software called Turbo V but not sure if anyone can give me pointers on using this OCing software. Should I use this or just go to the BIOS? If I do the bios, I'm not sure where I should start. Any help or tutorial would be great...

Kareem

Specs:
CPU: Intel i5 750 @ 2.67GHz (default)
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D PRO | BIOS: AMI 2003
Graphics Card: EVGA Nvidia GT 240 PCie
Memory: 4 Gig DDR
Hard Drive: Hitachi 1TB, SATA3, 7200rpm
Power Supply: Cooler Max 500w
Case: Thermaltake Soprano Middle Tower
Speakers: Altec Lansing 121i system
Mouse: Microsoft Optic
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Reading that whole guide will give you a solid understanding of how to get the most from your chip, and its really well written... However, IMO, it is also pretty long winded for someone if they are just getting into overclocking. Miah's guide explains very well how to overclock, but it isn't the best at first time quicky overclocking.

If you want to get a quick start without knowing all the details, start at step 1 on page 3:
http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-lynnfield/3/

Then once you complete step 1, step 2, and step 3, you've got yourself a good/fun overclock to start with. That will give you a taste of what you can get, and if you really want to be sure you are doing things the right way and have things tweaked well, its definitely worth reading miah's entire article. It will help you understand how those settings fit together, as well as understand the voltages and frequencies you are changing. That understanding is the difference between overclocking, and knowing how to overclock.

As for BIOS or TurboV - most everyone around here will tell you to use the BIOS, and thats because its better. It is better because it allows you to control multipliers, FSB, voltages, and RAM settings. TurboV can do a portion of that alright, but it can't do it all, and it can't let you lower your ram settings to test the limits of other components - that is a serious obstacle for good overclocking practices, as well as for following miah's guide.

Back