• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just installed windows xp and now I have no sound!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
just a thought but?

try different speakers has the fuse blown in the plug?

is there a loose connection? look to the speakers is the sound turned down?

to me it seems like something silly not switch on maybe?
maybe something you missed....

just relax and go through all again to check!

been there done this and found i was a plonker due to a silly setting somewhere!

hope it helps?

make sure the volume is not set on mute. This has happened to me before and i was going nuts not being able to figure it.

tacos said:
First off let me say thanks for all the continued help. Ok I uninstalled and downloaded the right drivers and installed. Still no sound. I have checked everything. Maybe I will try reinstalling windows xp. I didn't have this problem earlier today when I was still on 98 so it has be something little. A computer with no sound doesn't cut it though i'll tell ya that.

what type of speakers you have?

although perhaps a little unrelated, has anyone with a SB Audigy and Windows XP found that your speaker configuration keeps being reset to 2 speakers instead of 5.1?

For the sound blaster live!, this is how you are supposed to upgrade the card to full functionility on WindowsXP,

Install Live! CD

Download the SB Live! Driver from Windows Update

Download and install the new live drivers from www.soundblaster.com

Thats it! BTW, if you do this out of order, you'll run into problems just like me!

DS-Master

jeeves74 said:
although perhaps a little unrelated, has anyone with a SB Audigy and Windows XP found that your speaker configuration keeps being reset to 2 speakers instead of 5.1?

I found that mine did that the first time I installed windows xp when ever i ran winamp but it doesnt seem to do it anymore. I also have the SB LIVE! 5.1 xgamer card.

DS-Master said:
For the sound blaster live!, this is how you are supposed to upgrade the card to full functionility on WindowsXP,

Install Live! CD

Thats it! BTW, if you do this out of order, you'll run into problems just like me!

DS-Master

OK I'm gonna try this. Let ya know how it goes. I went back to 98 earlier and the speakers worked so Its something little.

Did you check to see if the sound was muted as stated earlier. You didn't mention if you tried that or not. This is a fairly common problem when upgrading to XP.

DS-Master said:

Install Live! CD

DS-Master

still no luck:(

ptwearnhardtfan said:
Did you check to see if the sound was muted as stated earlier. You didn't mention if you tried that or not. This is a fairly common problem when upgrading to XP.

Yea i checked it. And its not muted. Don't understand what it could be.:(

Bigsexy said:
hmmm - unlikely but maybe:

In the audio settings - have you checked if "digital out only" is on?? Should be off!

I have tried both. Neither works. thanks

bumping this post because i'm having the same problem...

when i attempt to play anything in winamp, i get this error:

Crossfading DirectSound output v1.37 error
Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration.

I have an Asus P4S533 that has onboard sound, but it is completely disabled. I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer..I spent an hour on the phone with Creative tech support..I was told to change PCI slots, uninstall Norton AntiVirus, disable startup programs, etc, etc, etc to no avail. I have no idea what to do from here. I've installed the drivers from the CD that came with the sound card (OEM from Newegg), but nothing works..

I'm running XP Pro, and when I go into Sounds and Audio Devices, it says there's No Audio Device! I still don't understand what's going on........

Any help would be appreciated.

In volume control go to advanced settings and check if the box "Digital output only" is checkmarked. That happened to me once, and I returned the card only to get the same problem, but i figured it out eventually.

ltb, do you see the drivers installed and running in the device manager?

yes, it says all the drivers in the device manager are working properly..it even says the Audigy card is working properly! but still, when i load up sounds and audio devices, NOTHING is there. this is getting very, very frustrating..i think i paid enough for this system to have everything work.....

is there a jumper on my motherboard that i can set to disable the onboard audio? i've already done so in the BIOS, but i see nothing about disabling it via a jumper in the manual..

if windows detects no other sound device but the audigy then the onboard sound must already be disabled. however you can search the bios for the AC97 sound controller and disable it either.

i think that if there is nothing about the jumper in the manual then the bios setting should disable it completely. btw what does the manual say about disabling onboard sound?

Back