• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i just wanna host files!! good god!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you are just going to be using one port, which will be the case if you're doing ftp, then I would forward the port. DMZ will expose your computer to everything, and if you have a router, you should take advantage of the hardware firewall. Most routers have a web based configuration tool, which you access by going to the router's ip address in internet explorer. Most routers use 192.168.0.1 as their ip. Look at the website for your router's manufacteur to learn how to configure it.

damn dude i still cant get my ftp to work BUT! i have been able to forward ports and host games so im kinda khappy.....

what happens when u run outa open forwording slots?

i dunno if anyone has suggested it but when i was on 56k i ran a file svr for cracks for about a day..to cope with the changing IP's i got no-ip www.no-ip.com or www.noip.com i think..you setup a username and instead of people putting in your IP they put in say mine was "pyro262.serveftp.com" for the host..then u do logins on ur own..and it automatically updates your profile with your new ip everytime u run it..its quite nice

edit: no im not promoting cracks or serving them..just giving an example of how i coped with the constant ip change

ok,

first, go to some sort of redirect service, like http://www.no-ip.com (that's what i'm using). register, download and install their ip updating software. now, whatever u've choose ur server name is, e.g. mrchamber.myftp.com, they will always update/use ur current ip regardless how often ur isp change it.

now, set up ur ftp server for a static (internal) ip. network neighbor --> type in an ip, and copy everything exactly the same as on ur router's setup/first page, like all DNS number, subnet mask, etc. it is important to make sure the DNS nmber is the same or ur machine can't have any net access.

lastly, go into ur router's setup. should be 192.168.1.1 for a linksys router. then the forward tab, now forward port 21 to the (internal) ip address that u've assign for ur ftp server.

install any ftp software, and u should be able to access it.

good luck. ;)

what do people have to type in the address bar to access the ftp site thru ie? Or do you have to use a ftp program to access it?

Your going to have to go into your router and forward port 21 to the internal ip ex: 192.168.0.100.... you must use your external ip address for your ftp's addy. Here is a link that explains it in detal for you.

Back