• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a genius to fix this S***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Masternaut

Registered
Hello fellow strangers I am currently dealing with a tough one. I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and my start menu icons (the ones I pin there) vanish at random. Also when placing the same one again it will call itself number 2 ex, Google Chrome (2) and when I try to rename it and delete the number it says there is already a file with the same name in this location. In the folder that windows stores these in they are all there and not hidden, the start menu folder I'm sure you guys know what I mean. Regardless of all this and after 3 fresh installs and after various restores they just poof at random. Event viewer shows nothing, I don't get any BSOD or crashes so what gives? Btw I have ran this same version of windows for a long time and never had these problems before and have tried every online solution to no avail.

Did it start after a hardware upgrade/change or after installing some new software?

List your system specs; that could be very helpful.

This happens after a fresh install of windows and no updates. Updating it and running sfc /scannow does nothing to fix it. System restore fixes it but only for a few minutes to a day sometimes then it happens. System specs are as follows, 120 GB Kingston SV300 SSD, 500 GB WD HDD, Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0, FX 8350 4.5 GHZ Lapped, Hyper 212 2x120mm fans, 12GB of 1600 MHZ GSKILL, 750 Watt PSU, Railink 3070L Wifi Antenna, Windows 7 x64.

Looks like corrupt install media. If you're installing via USB, try recreating the installer, maybe even on a different flash drive. If it's DVD your using, check the media for scratches/fingerprints/etc. Also maybe run a cleaning disk on the drive, especially if it's not used very often.

So none of you think my ssd is failing?
If it was the SSD, it would be more random than the same stuff disappearing every time.
I actually wanted to say malware till I read the whole thread. Where are you downloading your OS from?

Okay I will try again with my disc later on, after doing this 3 times it's getting pretty frustrating...

Have you installed at stock cpu speeds/specs and tested running with cpu at stock to see if the issue occurrs at that time as well? About the first thing to do in any problematic situation is test stock and if that works fine...then we know it is something connected to the overclock that brings on the problem we see. But once in your situation, the issue is already there, and maybe only installing stock and testing stock will show the real deal. By the way if you g00gle there are methods to re-establish the corrupted icons since such a situation is not foreign by any means in Win 7 64bit.

RGone...

Back