• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a good alternative to my Stacker 830 - Give your best opinions/recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jivetrky

I need a good alternative to my Stacker 830 - Give your best opinions/recommendations

I love my Stacker 830 but would like to move to a case that does not have a Door. The door was my major point when looking for a case originally. But I now Find it annoying to have to continuously open and close it.\

I plan on selling my 830 (when I find an alternative) and use that money to buy the new case.
So first of all it has to be at least the price that my Stacker 830 will sell for (I'm hoping for $200) or hopefully less.
Second it has to have 120mm Cooling, not 80mm. (Like for instance with the original Stacker, it has 120mm fans but has an 80mm blow hole, that is fine, because I probably won't use the blow hole anyway.)
Third it has to be able to hold my watercooling setup INTERNALLY. (see the sig)
Fourth is the placement of the front ports (usb and audio, etc) Where they are placed on the stacker series are perfect for me. I do not like where Thermaltake puts theirs (On top toward the middle) This wouldn't work with my desk setup.
My desk has the case "area" to the right by my feet, so a case that will work with this setup is, of course, preferred. So if it has a window, the left side would be preferable. But I guess if the case is good enough, then it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Right now the only case I can see to work for me is the original Stacker. I'd like some other options...So please help me out :) (The Silverstone TJ07 looks like it'd be an awesome replacement....if only I could find it with a $100+ sale price! :) )

...anyway...please opinionate/recommenditiliate me!

EDIT: BTW, I don't mind if I have to make holes to put RAD on top or bottom of case.

Last edited:
^^ it might look fugly :-O

I'd check out some lian li cases maybe? They make some very excellent high end cases, wonderful construction and nice designs, though im not sure if any would fit your specifications.

Have you looked into a thermal take armor?

twoeyes said:
^^ it might look fugly :-O

I'd check out some lian li cases maybe? They make some very excellent high end cases, wonderful construction and nice designs, though im not sure if any would fit your specifications.

Have you looked into a thermal take armor?

yeah I looked through Lain-Li's ....>Can't seem to find one that tickles me....we'll see if one grows on me or something....and yeah i did look at the Armor. First problem is that I'm trying to get away fromt he doors...and second is the usb/audio ports would be unreachable for me as my case sists under the desk.

And yeah, removing the door would turn my almost $300 case "fugly"

man, the more I look at that silverstone TJ07, the more I love it. I just wish I could find it cheaper. It's like $350 shipped from the Egg. *sigh* maybe I'll just have to settle for the Stacker (original) And with that I think I'd like the one with black sides better but the silver one is way cheaper (even has a MIR to make it like $115

Darnit. :) Why can't I have money again! I just want to go back and buy the silverstone! At that time it would have only been a $50 difference too :)

have you checked the stacker 810, I find it a good compromise between the original and the 830, and it fit a rad nicely either on the floor or roof of the case

I looked at the 810. The only problem i saw with it was that it didnt' have the second PSU bay. And that made it harder to install a 2x120mm RAD. I think I'd be pretty much stuck with drilling holes in the top for it. Which if it came down to it, would be alright, but I'd like to do it without, if possible.
So I thought that witht he original Stacker i could put the PSU int he top bay and put the RAD in the vent opening that is already in the bottom.

oh BTW....I've actually be somewhat considering selling one of my video cards so that I could afford the Silverstone TJ07 ......what do you guys think about that idea? Is it just plain looney? Should I keep what I have and just get the stacker (and maybe make out witha couple extra bucks in the process?) Or loose my SLI and have a sweet sweet looking case? (My main thing that I love about the case is the lines....I LOVE the top curve. And the fact that it could pretty easily fit a 3x120mm RAD if I ever wanted to upgrade. (without an real modding needed)

EDIT: can anyone tell me if the sides of the Stacker cases (the original or 810 I mean) are steel or aluminum? One thing I like about the 830 is that the sides are the same brushed aluminum as the front. But it kinda looks like the other stackers just have the cheaper thin steel typed sides.

Last edited:
jivetrky said:
EDIT: can anyone tell me if the sides of the Stacker cases (the original or 810 I mean) are steel or aluminum?
The sidepanels of the STC-T01 (original Stacker) are brushed aluminum.
The Stacker is the macdaddy of watercooled cases...it can take just about any waterloop config you can think of and is built like the proverbial brick pooppalace.

That said, I just moved from the Stacker (my third!) into a TJ07 and yes, it's as nice as you think it is.

clocker2 said:
The sidepanels of the STC-T01 (original Stacker) are brushed aluminum.
The Stacker is the macdaddy of watercooled cases...it can take just about any waterloop config you can think of and is built like the proverbial brick pooppalace.

That said, I just moved from the Stacker (my third!) into a TJ07 and yes, it's as nice as you think it is.
:drool:

Back