• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a very good cpu fanless cooler (specific needs)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlackHawks

Registered
Hello guys,

I need a very good cpu cooler fanless, or, at least, I link a fan bus to it and stop its fan when required.

motivation: I occasionally need to run the Pc with microphones around, everything into the same room
*Now I am thinking going with thermaltake macho hr-02 and linking its fan to a rehobus (that way I can totally stop it when needed). Noctua fan.

config:
*Now I am on 775 socket, planning for radical upgrading.
So I need compatibile from 775 to other socket cooler.
* I want to overclock the systems.

I have 2 question actually:
-What's the difference between thermaltake macho hr-02 and thermaltake hr-02 (macho and non macho model)?
-Do you have other option/product to suggest me?

budget:
*free budget for the cooler

Thank you in advance and congratulation for your great community and support.

One key difference between the two is that the HR-02 has a thumbscrew to apply up to 70lbs of mounting pressure, while the Macho lacks the thumbscrew. The macho still provides 40lbs (IIRC) of mounting pressure. The other differences are pretty minor, with the Macho not having nickel-plated heatpipes (doesn't matter) and lacking the included screwdriver of the HR-02. Also the Macho is considerably cheaper.

It would be a perfect cooler for stock speeds to mild overclocking in a quasi-fanless (IE low-speed case fan only) or quiet fan setting. If you grab a sunbeam rheobus you can turn off the fan at will.

I like my HR-02, and muddocktor ran it with just case airflow (on a bench was incorrect - testing was in a case) on an overclocked 1366 chip as a (successful) test. So it should certainly be able to handle a 775 or 1156/1155 chip in the same capacity. I picked it up as I was tired of running high-speed fans on my TRUE, and it ended up being a good choice.

Last edited:
Lol yes, thermalright!!

I have to tell you a "story". I have had my own dual core e2180 at 2.600 for 1 year power-on h24/7 With.out ANY fans! Only PSU one. I was very "lazy" didnt find time to mount them.
Well, not a problem on the way!

Anyway now I have fans and case and rheobus.

Fans are noiseblocker pro 1 200 + 3 120. The midrange model. And they are very quite. then I have an enermax, and it is very quite as well. the only Prob is the cpu cooler fan.
I have Lamptron f02 rheobus that is amazing! Old school, analogue style and I love it. I linked all the fans to it (even the cpu fan). So when I need the total silence I just turn all the fans (exept the psu fan) off. And it is perfect. The rest of the time I leave my dog (Antec 300) with full wind and noize inside (not a big prob).
Now I am going to pass from dual to a q6600/q9550 quad and yep, I will change the cpu cooler

Based on what you say, I think I do prefer the non-macho model. I will check also the Ninja.

Thank you guys. Once I have got one, I post the report.

Last edited:
I am about to write up the review on the Macho myself; got the testing done. And with the original HR-02, I tested inside a case and not on a bench. I do all my testing inside a case, since that's the way 90+% of the people out there will be running their systems.

As far as differences between the HR-02 and HR-02 Macho, the base design is also different, besides the mounting system. The Macho cannot use any other Thermalright mounting equipment besides what comes with it. The new mount is easy enough to use on either Intel or AMD systems though, including 775 which I mount test for. And as far as running fanless, yes it can do it just like it's more expensive older brother, but the fan included with it is both quiet and a PWM fan so you can keep the noise wayy down while still using the fan. I would say that the case fans you already have make much more noise than the fan that comes with it.

And stay tuned, my Macho review will be coming soon. :D

I'm not sure if it's been released to retailers yet. There's a couple HR-02's available at Jab-tech & performance-pcs but I can't locate a Macho for sale.

Would you go for the macho or the non-macho? Feel free to share your points.

You could go the water route because you need case fans anyways so why not just put the rads so the case fans blow on it?

Mostly I am a second hand market guy and do like going for air: more 'biz' around. Plus I have never touched water stuff. Should to re-learn all the story. I think I keep my roll with air (altough your thought is logic and very worthy).
Maybe I will.

Last edited:
Depends if you can afford the original. It's almost double the cost of the MSRP of the Macho and doesn't come with a fan. Performance wise it's a tossup.

What is more easy to mount (or viceversa) and the more rock solid in your opinion?

*Yep I can afford the more expensive one

To tell the truth, I'm not a giant fan of Thermalright's "pressure vault" mounting system that comes with the original HR-02. It works well and gives good mounting pressure, but when you crank down the center screw for adjusting clamping pressure, it also raises the crossbar off the top of the heatsink base and let's the heatsink rotate on it's axis fairly easily. The mount that comes with the Macho is less susceptible to this problem. But both mounts are easy enough to use, with a very slight nod being given to the original HR-02 in ease of installing.

I'm alright with the Thermalright ven-X style mount, especially compared to the old TRUE-style spring mount, however I am considering taking a dremel to the sides of the mounting bar on my HR-02.

Mudd, you may be able to help me here - when you tightened down the center nut, did the heatpipes push up on the side of the mount? Thinking that may be the issue I saw when I was using the 920. Took awhile longer mounting on the SB setup this time, but I still feel like the pipes are clearing too well.

Back