• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need advice on a new computer please, info inside.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been listening,

The eVGA 8800GT is out of stock and have been for some time now, eVGA is the only company I would buy from.
Besides all the other 8800GT's are out of stock on almost all sites to begin with.

All I read is how bad the cooling is on the 8800GT's. I really appreciate the nice big coolers on the GTS and GTX.

In most of the latest benchmarks that I have seen the GT does beat the GTS, and almost keeps up with the GTX. However, I don't know what to do under the circumstances.

I'm going to stick with 4GB of the G.SKILL, have terrible experience with Crucial, great with G.SKILL, and their price is cheaper. There is no plan to OC so it will do just fine.

I also own a Lian Li PC-60BPLUSII, I think I'm going to stick with that one as well. I've worked on it and in it plenty of times, its a amazing case. Plus I can budget it.

As far as saving $20 bucks and such, I'll save the hassle and just purchase it from NewEgg with my original game plan.

Really the only question is the video card, spending every penny but without going over budget. Also considering the E6750 over the 6850, comparing $100.00 vs. 333Mhz, as well as just a Q6600 over all, if I can budget it.

Last edited:
I've been listening,

The eVGA 8800GT is out of stock and have been for some time now, eVGA is the only company I would buy from.
Besides all the other 8800GT's are out of stock on almost all sites to begin with.

All I read is how bad the cooling is on the 8800GT's. I really appreciate the nice big coolers on the GTS and GTX.

In most of the latest benchmarks that I have seen the GT does beat the GTS, and almost keeps up with the GTX. However, I don't know what to do under the circumstances.

I'm going to stick with 4GB of the G.SKILL, have terrible experience with Crucial, great with G.SKILL, and their price is cheaper. There is no plan to OC so it will do just fine.

I also own a Lian Li PC-60BPLUSII, I think I'm going to stick with that one as well. I've worked on it and in it plenty of times, its a amazing case. Plus I can budget it.

As far as saving $20 bucks and such, I'll save the hassle and just purchase it from NewEgg with my original game plan.

Really the only question is the video card, spending every penny but without going over budget. Also considering the E6750 over the 6850, comparing $100.00 vs. 333Mhz, as well as just a Q6600 over all, if I can budget it.

Any chance of you picking up an ATI 3870 instead of the GT? Also, if you can wait the new GTS is supposed to be out in approx 2 weeks. It might also be hard to get a hold of as well though.

3870 is worse than the GT though =/
He's a gamer, he needs the GT :)
Have you tried contacting EVGA and finding out if you can buy from them? or at least when they will become available again?

The 3870 are just as out of stock as the GT. I prefer to just stick with nVidia anyway, I think down to the details the GT out preforms anyway. I only read casually about the new GTS coming out soon (Dec 11th?), I'm sure they may be annoying to get, but other then that.. I don't know much about there performance in comparison to the other cards on the market.

if you're worried about the cooling on the GT, get an aftermarket cooler. it'll still be cheaper than the GTS and outperform it 99% of the time.

I'd wait for a 8800GT, the stock coolers aren't bad you just need to give them some fan speed.

Back