• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some feedback for a setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. $T$

Well to keep a long story short I tried water cooling about 3 years ago, but I bought cheap and got crappy performance. Besides that I was only cooling a AXP anyways so air worked just fine. Now I have a Prescott that has similar wattage to lets say.... the sun, and as I type it's fusing the silicon to iron. or about 64c. I've done some research and came across a few parts that I feel will fit the build and offer the performance I need now and to expand into later on down the line.

Now the look I'm going for is a multi 120mm setup mounted to the top of my box and have only the CPU WC for the time being. This Picture is the look I'm going for.

Now here's what I'm looking into:

Pump: MCP350, from what I hear this thing is a watercoolers dream machine, small, quiet, reliable and has pressure and flow to that of a 1048. Is this all true?

Water Block: Apogee, I read that it has similar performance to that of the storm and cheaper, however it can crack at the base due to excessive force pushing on the lines.

Tubing:Tygon 7/16in, best of both world between 3/8 and 1/2 being it can corner with ease as well as carry a good 10lpm without skipping a beat, or so I hear.

Radiator: Here's the million dollar question... Is the Black Ice Pro III that much better then the II? Size isn't a factor being the radiator is going to be on top, also price isn't a factor unless the gain is minimal. I'm pretty sure that a II would be more then enough for the CPU (125w worth) alone however I'm looking into something that will take a 6800 or 7800 later down the line as well as maybe a chipset or so.

TIA :)

Looks like you've done your homework pretty good. The pump, block, and tubing you picked out is all top grade stuff. I'm using a 2X120mm rad and it's cooling a dual core Presler very nicely even when I'm benching at max O/C with a ton of voltage. Personally, I think a BIX2 would work good even with a GPU block in the system, as long as you have good air flow through the rad.

batboy said:
Looks like you've done your homework pretty good. The pump, block, and tubing you picked out is all top grade stuff. I'm using a 2X120mm rad and it's cooling a dual core Presler very nicely even when I'm benching at max O/C with a ton of voltage. Personally, I think a BIX2 would work good even with a GPU block in the system, as long as you have good air flow through the rad.

On a BIX II I've read you need some pretty decent fans to push enough air threw it to get any gain. Also the BIP III has nearly the same cooling area, so would it be more effective to take three slower fans and have them work as well as two more powerfull ones on a BIX II?

Also how do you like that cedar mill?

I love my Presler... which is the dual core... the Cedar Mill is the single core equivalent.

If you have room, then by all means, go with the 3X120mm. But, the 2X120mm will probably be fine.

batboy said:
I love my Presler... which is the dual core... the Cedar Mill is the single core equivalent.

If you have room, then by all means, go with the 3X120mm. But, the 2X120mm will probably be fine.

Ha my bad I thought it was the other way around. According to the rating the BIP II is capable of displacing 837 watts and the BIP III about 2000 watts. If I can get anywhere to half that then you are right it will do more then enough for me. Thanks for the input and I hope to order soon! I may sell off some old parts if need be. [shamlessplug]Anybody need a matching set of 800/133 PIIIs?[/shamelessplug]

thorilan said:
with the 350 and 7/16 i would go with a bix2 or bip2 .

Yep that defiantly seem to be the route I'm going.

Even better I found a reliable site that has everything I need and they also have some Swiftech MCW55's in stock I'm really thinking about getting one of those to shut my card up, does anybody here have some experience with these? Also how does 7/16 fit over a 3/8 barb I'm thinking I'm probally going to have to use Little of 3/8 1/2 and 7/16 to get the parts I'd like being the MCW50 has 1/2 pressure fittings and the 350 has 3/8. Also how are these 3 blade delta fans? They seem to have a pressure advantage that I'd like to have.

EDIT: Sorry I take that back I read that the MCW55 actually takes 1/2 OD and 3/8 ID, so is there any draw back with the system I just described by using 3/8 and 7/16? What I'm thinking about doing is do 7/16 from the rad at the top of my case (just as in the picture link above in the 1st post) to the CPU block with a 1/2 fitting then go with a 3/8 to the video block, 3/8 to the pump then 3/8 out of the pump then to a 3/8|1/2 adaptor and 7/16 to the top back to the rad. That way I have larger tubes on the longer runs and 3/8 on the tighter environment inside the case. No?

Last edited:
bartsimsonii said:
Why not a mcp 655?

I saw that for a Multi block system that the 350 would be the better choice due to it's Higher pressure ability.

Well anyways I ordered everything

Swiftech Apogee, Good preforming and looking block for the price and doesn't need a very powerfull pump.
Swiftech MCW55, The GPU fan I have now I took off a cuisinart.
Swiftech MCP350, Mulitblock capable.
Black Ice Pro II, Astablished as the best raditor for me.
2x Delta 120x38mm Triple Blade, because they have pressure ability.
Black Nylon 1/2 ID Y Splitter, Filler Spliter.
Black Nylon 3/8 ID to 1/2 ID Reduction Fitting, Pump to Long run adaptor.
Tygon 3/8in. ID 1/2in. OD, Inner system tube.
Tygon 7/16in. ID 11/16in. OD, Long run tube.
Tygon 1/2in. ID 5/8in. OD, Filler tube.
HydrX Extreme-Duty UV Coolant, because algae sucks and to make it glow oooo.
Logisys Dual UV 12 in. CCFL Light Kit, To make it purty.

Hahaha how cool?

That case you have pitctured is actually mine!
Check out each individual part:
DSCN1094.jpg

Good luck on your build and if you have any more questions specific to my build, ask away.

Bryan d

PS - I ditched the res though because it cracked and almost killed my cats ( see link below).

bryan_d said:
Hahaha how cool?

That case you have pitctured is actually mine!
Check out each individual part:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/bryan_d/DSCN1094.jpg[IMG]

Good luck on your build and if you have any more questions specific to my build, ask away.

Bryan d

PS - I ditched the res though because it cracked and almost killed my cats ( see link below).[/QUOTE]

Ahhaha cool, I must say however it's a nice looking setup. Enought for me to copy it :)

Yep I too have cats and plan shut the door whenever I'm away. Good thing your's didn't get hurt.

Besides arn't they cute?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/clawhammer/Minks.jpg

DSC00190s.jpg

Back