• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need the best wireless router $100 CDN can buy...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"need to upd. firmware if having issues at the start with connections but after updating works great."

(From the reviews ^)

I've never updated firmware on a router. How hard would that be to do? Would I need a USB key or anything like that to do it? What are the chances of accidentally bricking it when I update the firmware?

Thanks

Usually you just need the Firmware file from the manufacture's site, then you can just go the web access of the router, then upload the file to the router. It will flash itself for you :)

Now, I put these in here just to avoid some confusion:

If it's bricked;
Usually you just need the Firmware file from the manufacture's site, and a hardwire connection to the router.

Give yourself a static address of like 192.168.0.3/24, then usually unplug the router, hold the power button for 30 seconds, plug it back it, wait till the light flash then browse to 192.168.0.1. Then upload the file.

That's how my Dlink get's into it's recover console mode if it gets bricked.

Some Googlefu will be more specific, I just wanted to give some details on how it would go down :)

EDIT: That looks like a nice router. A big plus I see are the 5 Dbi antennas. Those + the 8 Dbi antenna I linked to (just screw that into your wifi card) and you's be golden.

I'd actually be really shocked if your connection suffers TBH

EDIT2: Also, stock levels show that only the warehouse has that in stock. Also, "no returns and no refunds".....

Also, I have no wifi card to screw an 8db antenna into. I have an ipad and a laptop and a netbook. My desktop is wired.

Ahhh.

If the router you buys has detachable antenna, you can use that.
Most don't though. I just picked a 5Dbi antenna, and I have to splice it into my router some how lol.

That's a good price for a Wireless AC router with DD-WRT. :)
Though I have no idea if ASUS make good routers :-/

My friend suggested the Apple Airport express. He says it's very reliable. Thoughts?
I can't make a decision... I need more help.

It probably is reliable.......
But I think would get a better bang for your buck not paying for over-priced Apple junk.

What I look for would be routers with larger antennas, and more than one of them.

That pretty much guarantees longer range in most places.

But which one do I buy!!??

So confused... I'm sorry for being such an on the fence loser about this I just know zero about networking...

You described earlier multiple concrete walls and a balcony.

Just not sure the Apple Airport Express would make you 100% happy. Sounds like you have very specific expectations and I feel like if you were going to go Apple, you would be happier with the Extreme, which is out of the budget you mentioned at $199 price tag.

But which one do I buy!!??

So confused... I'm sorry for being such an on the fence loser about this I just know zero about networking...

You described earlier multiple concrete walls and a balcony.

Just not sure the Apple Airport Express would make you 100% happy. Sounds like you have very specific expectations and I feel like if you were going to go Apple, you would be happier with the Extreme, which is out of the budget you mentioned at $199 price tag.

+1 to Twiggz.

No, OCnoob. If you are going through concrete, you will defiantly need a powerful router with large antenna.

I'd grab this one http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1046_1047&item_id=050695

I thought you were limited to CC an 100 bucks CAD?

Either way, I like that it comes with DD-wrt,thought judging by the screenshots at Newegg, a special version.

Also, DETACHABLE antennas! :thup:
If you need more range, you can upgrade those antennas later.

I would feel comfortable buying that yes.

AFAIK that router does not include DD WRT it is merely compatible with it.

BTW what good are 8db antennas if I'm just using a laptop with it's pathetic little wifi antenna? Surely, it makes no difference to merely improve the antennae on one end of the conversation. I imagine I could increase my routers range to 100 ft but my laptop and ipad would still have only a 30 ft range. At least that's how I understand it.

AFAIK that router does not include DD WRT it is merely compatible with it.

BTW what good are 8db antennas if I'm just using a laptop with it's pathetic little wifi antenna? Surely, it makes no difference to merely improve the antennae on one end of the conversation. I imagine I could increase my routers range to 100 ft but my laptop and ipad would still have only a 30 ft range. At least that's how I understand it.

True, but I found that my 8Dbi antenna on my wifi card helped a lot, so I imagine it'll work the other way around.

Supported yes - available for download? No.

I can't find the dd-wrt firmware for it on ddwrt's site :shrug:
Probably won't need it though.

I also like the 5 Ghz capabilities on it. Since your close to the big smoke, I assume everyone has wifi points right?
5Ghz can help if the 2.4Ghz band is over crowded.

Last edited:
True, but I found that my 8Dbi antenna on my wifi card helped a lot, so I imagine it'll work the other way around.

Supported yes - available for download? No.

I can't find the dd-wrt firmware for it on ddwrt's site :shrug:
Probably won't need it though.

I also like the 5 Ghz capabilities on it. Since your close to the big smoke, I assume everyone has wifi points right?
5Ghz can help if the 2.4Ghz band is over crowded.

I pick up like 18 different wifi networks in my condo. I don't like 5Ghz band though, it's no good going through walls.

I pick up like 18 different wifi networks in my condo. I don't like 5Ghz band though, it's no good going through walls.

Ahh crap thats right. :facepalm:

If want to buy that ASUS router, I see no issues with it.
Should be solid :thup:

For extra tweaking, just run ISSIDER3 to see what wifi channels everyone else is on. Just pick the less used channel

Back