• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need to record PC gameplay

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost2501

Hello I need a video capture solution for recording PC Mirrors Edge Gameplay. I have a gtx 260 and a 8600gt. If I use fraps it lags so I am hoping there is a way to capture my gameplay at full resoulution and speed.

Can I use a 8600gt which wouldnt be used for gameplay to capture video. I have never tried to capture any video and I dont have a need to capture TV or watch TV etc.

So far I have it in my head I may even need to use an svideo jumper out of my gtx 260 and into the 8600gt if it is capable of recording. Also If it is capable I hope there is a way wihtout using a jumper as it would be cleaner.

I am fully willing to buy a video capture card if that will do the job any reccomendations? Will that have to be done via s-video cable or will a video capture card record directly a type of "record what is on screen" deal.

Also I What exactly is a wdm driver and I have access to a 7800GT if that will do it also. Will a wdm driver work on my 8600gt? 7800GT?

Also Is it a better or ideal way to record having a second PC hooked up if you have to use a svideo cable etc?

I am just looking for the best way to record full game footage from my PC Hopefully full size and fps then I will edit it down later. I will settle for lower resolution etc. I just have to be able to play my game full speed and resolution I game at 1680 x1050.

Other note on the PC version I have The Arland World Record time trial with 38:59 and I am 4th on heat and 9th on chase.

But can't you change the fps you record using fraps??? mine was set to like 29fps until i changed to 60. If you are refering to the lag when recording in game, the lag should stop after you stop recording

the lag stops when I am done recording yes that is the problem I cant set any world record times and record them with lag. So I am looking into using a capture card orsomething from another pc or anything. How do profesionals do it they use fraps on one pc?

cuiiey,

When I record using fraps my pc lags...... period I need a better way to record because I cant set any records with my pc lagging. Is there a video capture card that records directly from the system bus etc. so I dont have to run a s-video jumper etc.

It dosent matter what settings I use it still lags is the main problem When I say full resolution and speed I mean some people say just play the game at 640x480 with settings on low. etc so fraps can record better.

I need to have my PC at 1680x1050 while playing I dont care how low resolution I record at since its going on youtube I just need my game not to lag while playing as you cant have that on mirrors edge.

Other than building a new quad core system from ground up to solve this using fraps and pure muscle I was thinking I would look into video capture cards as I dont know jack obviously. Maybe I am looking for something more liek a framegrabber than a video capture card persay since I dont need to record external things is what I am getting at.

Your best bet would be to have another computer record the game session. Some video cards can accept svideo in. Uunless you've got a really nice system recording gaming is probably going ot lag the system (like yours). If you can record a demo from within the game it would also work - you replay the demo and record that and you don't have to worry about lag.
If you have a DVR or VCR you might be able to get the computer to output there and then record it in that manner too.
lastly you have several options for a PVR card. if you want something that's current (can do digital) buy a new one. If you are willing ot take an analog only card then buy used. If you want i've got a spare PVR-150 (Put up a post in the wanted section and PM me, and we can go from there). Hauppauge tends to have good PVR cards.

Back