• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I just shorted my motherboard :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CualvezAsteria

I was installing a new heatsink and had my motherboard outside of the case.

I was letting the TIM burn in without the fan on the HS and while I was waiting I took a little copper heatsink I had got for my MOSFETs and placed one on top of a set of 3 MOSFETs to see how it would fit. So the computer was on. As I was doing this, the computer turned off. Now it won't turn back on... I've tried many things, resetting the CMOS, pulling the motherboard battery out and back in... unplugging things, replugging... still won't turn on.

I think I tapped a capacitator or something with the copper heatsink and that shorted it or something. Anything I can do? Can I fix this?

Oh well, lesson learned. The upside to all of this is I got a new motherboard (Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H) which should be a much better overclocking board.

i think anyone who has tweaked and clocked a system for any period of time can relate, i have a stack of MB's i have accumulated over the years that died because of my experimenting, it comes with the sickness, LOL........i remember the first rig i had i pulled the ps2 mouse connector from the MB while the system was running (for me, the 486 days), it arced at removal and fried the MB right away, stupid stuff, yup, and the longer you tweak the more 'incidents' you will have, guaranteed....thus the pile of trophies collecting dust....

yes, always a good excuse to get another board or component......

LOL...

laterzzzzzz.................

I have the same concern as Ice. Don't know if I'd run a 940 without a fan blowing on the heat sink. However, it is easy to short out a board as well. I did it once when working in my case with the computer running. I was trying to install a fan or something and dropped a screw onto the board that happened to land right just in the right place. Thje moral of the story is, don't work on your computer when the power is on.

"I was letting the TIM burn in without the fan on the HS"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I missed that in the first postage, it doesn't take long for a 940 idling without fannage and heatsink only to get real hot....might want to test that CPU in another good working board just to be sure....

laterzzzz.............

"I was letting the TIM burn in without the fan on the HS"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I missed that in the first postage, it doesn't take long for a 940 idling without fannage and heatsink only to get real hot....might want to test that CPU in another good working board just to be sure....

laterzzzz.............

Doubt that was it, a fan on the HS isnt enough to cause the CPU to fail. They all have thermal overload protection now.

No HS + fan on CPU = much higher chance for death. Im betting this was the issue regardless of what proctections are in place.

Try another CPU or another board. Thats the only sure way to tell.

NEVER test anything without the HS/F attached and running!!!! NEVER!

No HS + fan on CPU = much higher chance for death. Im betting this was the issue regardless of what proctections are in place.

Try another CPU or another board. Thats the only sure way to tell.

NEVER test anything without the HS/F attached and running!!!! NEVER!

he had the heatsink on, just didnt have the fan running

i killed one of my 940's yesterday while purging the air bubbles out of my setup, a pocket of air prolly got stuck in the block, by the time it cleared the cpu was toast, it only took about 5 or 6 seconds to clear....

it doesn't take much to fry one.....

popped in another, all is good again...

laterzzzzz............

I'm surprised you can still kill AMD cpus with heat, personally.

If you'd shorted something in the CPU power wiring you'd know it, there would be sparks and smoke, while there isn't much voltage there, there are a LOT of amps.

I have the same concern as Ice. Don't know if I'd run a 940 without a fan blowing on the heat sink. However, it is easy to short out a board as well. I did it once when working in my case with the computer running. I was trying to install a fan or something and dropped a screw onto the board that happened to land right just in the right place. Thje moral of the story is, don't work on your computer when the power is on.

And also give some time after turning off so the most of the capacitors get empty. ...or :cry:

Are you sure this didn't cause the problem ...?

Hrm. I doubt it... Just saw this reply, sorry for the lateness.

I did have the heatsink on and the temps I saw initially were pretty decent, nothing insane crazy. I've since gotten a new mobo (GA-MA790GP-UD4H) and the CPU still works. Actually have it sitting at 3.7 right now :) This is pretty much the max on air I think, couldn't hit 3.8 going up to 1.57, maybe I should've tried 1.6 but jeez, that's a lot for 100Mhz.

CualvezAsteria,

Most 940's settle in for daily usage @3.6 to 3.7 gig stable on air, about the same for a water setup.....yes, there are some that run the higher frequencies with ease. more the exception than the rule...

My 24/7 clock is 3.6gig, very fast, really can't tell any difference between 3.6 and 3.8 (i can actually boot the 4 gig, very unstable, no matter the volts), and I can lower the CPU volts for nice comfortable temps @ the 3.6....the 4gig hype from back when they debuted in early Jan 09 was somewhat of a pipedream unless you planned phase , DI, or LN2.....or got lucky with a superior slug....all the 4gig rigs at the Phenom parties were obviously binned CPU's.....

enjoy the speed......

laterzzzzz.............

Back