• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I'm done with the SMP client...for now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiggity

Going to call it quits on doing SMPs for a while, mediocre PPD on my dualie for too much strain on my cpu compared to the new GPU2 client.

Time to give the CPU a break for a while ;)

I mean it was only giving me ~1600 PPD, while the GPU2 client on my 8800GT is doing 5k+ PPD easily with almost no strain on the cpu / gpu. (CPU runs around 52C while doing SMP and 27C while doing GPU2 units, GPU core never goes above 40C :))

Hopefully Stanford bumps up the SMP client's worth a little bit, but until then it's just not worth it for me, especially in terms of PPD : Watt.

I'm sure that cpu doesn't realize it was ever strained :D

just run both and keep your PPD higher I mean what are you gonna do with those cpu cycles anyways. If your like me I only browse the net and games every once in a while so my computer never really gets any strain if it weren't for FAH or benching sometimes...

ya it's hardly a strain on cpu's it's just the temps from our overclocking that warm's em up muhahahahahahahahahahahahaa

Strain? Naaaa.....THIS is strain:

burnt1.jpg

Fold-what-yo-mama-gave-ya

foldon.gif

;)

1,600 ppd is now considered "chicken feed"?

Strange times, strange times.

I think you're right shiggiy, you should quit smd.... so I can catch up...I just got something for you and hank both.... Anybody care to guess what?

Damn you corrupting people ;)

Catch up to me while you can! It's staying off until my addiction overwhelms me.

Not going to lie, GPU2 has spoiled me silly.

Ohhhh just noticed the GPU2 client uses so little of my CPU, it's able to run in low power mode (w/e that Intel thing is called). 1.175V sweeet ;)

Last edited:
I hope you reconsider. Now when I go by you instead of feeling like I'm passing you on a racetrack it will feel more like I've run over a little old lady while driving a transit bus. :(

Oh well, either way it's going to happen. Maybe this way it will be a little less painful for you. ;)

Just have it ready, for if and when GPU2 comes out of beta and the points get back to being aligned.:eek:

it might be happening now....

Project : 5206
Core : GPUv2 Gromacs
Frames : 100
Credit : 225

-- Box4 GPU --

Min. Time / Frame : 57s - 3410.53 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 57s - 3410.53 ppd
Cur. Time / Frame : 58s - 3351.72 ppd
R3F. Time / Frame : 57s - 3410.53 ppd
Eff. Time / Frame : 57s - 3410.53 ppd

-- Box5 GPU --

Min. Time / Frame : 55s - 3534.55 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 55s - 3534.55 ppd
Cur. Time / Frame : 56s - 3471.43 ppd
R3F. Time / Frame : 55s - 3534.55 ppd
Eff. Time / Frame : 55s - 3534.55 ppd

-- Box1 GPU --

Min. Time / Frame : 55s - 3534.55 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 55s - 3534.55 ppd
Cur. Time / Frame : 55s - 3534.55 ppd
R3F. Time / Frame : 55s - 3534.55 ppd
Eff. Time / Frame : 55s - 3534.55 ppd

yea sir the reason I was kinda trying to wait it out, I had a felling they weren't gonna let these 8800's get 5k ppd for ever :D

...maybe Stanford benched these new GPU2 units on nVidia hardware instead. :shrug:

Eep, yeah the GPU2 client is giving less, :(

I'm still trying for a million by the end of the year, not sure if I'll make it though, even with SMP.

Back