• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I'm in trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Molester said:
no, i told him to shorten it ;)

skank, of course i'll help you out

Everyone always complains that it's too long. I get that a lot. :D

Actually, when you notified me of this, I had already changed it, but didn't hit the "save" button. I'm an idiot.

Anyway, let me do a good backup before I get to the OC'ing. We can move this to email if the mods would rather it stay on topic, but I think the info would be good to have out there for others to comment.

Will post back to ya later Mol. Hey - can you PM me your e-mail just for reference?

OnDborder said:
What bios are you running on that DFI Lanparty ?

Whatever it shipped with I'm sure. I'm using nVidia drivers for the chip. I can get details this afternoon.

Ok, been running like a God for a few weeks now, all three HD's, performed backups, etc. All was good...

until last night.. new problem.

Playing Q3 (go figure), nothing abnormal at all, then all the sudden, *blip*. lost video completely, but computer didn't lose power.

No boot up at all. No bios.

Cracked the case open, and I'm getting 2 diagnostic LED's, which means it detected RAM, CPU, but has not detected VGA.

So, what to do now? Ive been reading the DFI forums and many typical suggestions point to clearning the CMOS - you think this is a good suggestion, or should I troubleshoot elsewhere?

Oh, I have verified that the monitor is ok, so at least I know that much.

here we go again.

Oh yeah - forgot to add... I reseated the ram and reseated the video card in its slot. The video card fan still powers up and runs. Nothing seems out of the ordinary except for the hanging on startup, and no video AT ALL.

Suggestions?

Skanky said:
Ok - will start there then.
Judging by how finicky this board was for you in the past, a cmos reset is in order I think.

Pull the power from cord, pull the cmos batter, move the jumper, let it sit for a good 5 minutes, and then reverse the process.

well, both are pretty easy for me, so there's two things I can try.:thup:

Did the CMOS reset procedure as you described.. no go. Still getting 2 diagnostic LED's and a flashing LED on the front panel.

Ive removed the vid card adn replaced with a standard PCI card, AND am resetting CMOS again (now waiting).

Will post again in a while after I let CMOS reset.

No luck. :(

Gonna take a close look at the mobo now, see if anything is scorched. May remove all devices and boot on a plain system to see if I can at least get SOMETHING on video (Bios screen hopefully)

And wouldn't ya know it, DFI-Street forums are down right now for maintenance.

D'oh

I have all devices unplugged (DVD, all three hard drives). no change.

Just tried the "Safe Boot" feature as described in the DFI handbook - no change in behaviour.

Just thought I'd add that.

Good news - took out one of the 512m ram chips and I got it to post.

Will reconnect devices and try again in a while with 512Ram running instead of 1g.... gonna be a few mins, but if any thoughts, please advise.

sephiroth_749 said:
try swtiching your ram around in the slots and add sticks and remove sticks and see if anything happens

OMG that's serindipity at its best. I swear I did this before you posted it and i posted my reply. Weird.

I'm rebuilding now... gonna switch ram after i get a good boot and see what happens.

Ok. She's running again, but on 512M Ram.

I'm using one of the OCZ 512MB EL Dual Ch Platinum Rev 2 sticks right now...

Either of the two sticks work, but both will not work at the same time. What gives?

Ok it appears that I have the cold boot problem common with DFI boards (read the sticky). Guess my intro to overclocking is about to begin since I have to adjust timing settings for my RAM.

Molester - where are you?

Back