• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think it's the RAM??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flyboy993

Hey Guys,

I have a quick question. I have an AMD A8-4500M processor @ 1.9 Ghz for my laptop. The specs say that it should be able to turbo up to 2.8 Ghz. Using CPUZ, I can see that when I change the power profile to gaming, it will go up to 2.8 and even up to 3.0 for a short time. However, when I start to play a game like DCS A-10C, it shows a drop to only 2.3 and it stays there.

Now, I am no computer expert, but I think the game is using up all of the necessary RAM needed for the turbo-boost. Does that make any sense? The processor has a 4 MB cache if that means anything. So, would upgrading from 6 GB RAM to 8 GB RAM make my processor get that extra speed?? Thank you...

Ram has nothing to do with Turbo boost. Im not an AMD guy, but know that ram has zero to do with it...

No, it wouldn't be a ram issue. Most likely it's throttling back to protect against excessive power draw or heat. I'm guessing it's an APM (Advanced Power Management) effect.

Did not go and look up which version of TuboCore the AMD A8-4500M processor is using but TurboCore can only raise the cpu speed if half the cores in the processor are not being fully loaded. Once a heavy load comes on the cpu; similar to going into the game, then TurboCore is designed to bring the speed down across all the loaded cores to keep temps in check. Overall that is how TurboCore works.
RGone...

Okay, thanks a lot guys. So basically what you are saying is that I need to cool my laptop in order for TurboCore to boost me up to 2.8 gigs. With that said, is there any way you recommend doing that? I know about cooling mats and stands, is that a good option? Thanks again for your help.

As RGone says, Turbo core works 100% only if half the cores are loaded and no more,.
DCS being a flight sim, it certainly makes use of all the cores, and that's why you only get a 2.3GHz boost accross all cores, instead of 2.8 across half of them.

Edit: sorry for bad grammar, I am tired...

Okay, thanks a lot guys. So basically what you are saying is that I need to cool my laptop in order for TurboCore to boost me up to 2.8 gigs. With that said, is there any way you recommend doing that? I know about cooling mats and stands, is that a good option? Thanks again for your help.

It's just programmed that way to prevent it from getting too hot. On a desktop with motherboards that have detailed bioses you can turn turbo core off but you won't be able to do that in your laptop bios.

And the likelihood of being able to cool a laptop processor any better than it is currently to allow greater TurboCore upclock is just about zero. And anyway as the cores get fully loaded temps are not keeping the speed down. It is the number of cores loaded.
RGone...

Back