• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think my cpu is dying!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h2k

I think my cpu is dying... what do you think?

I've been getting strange illegal operations and stuff in windows me. They just occur randomly. Then when I restart, it gets part way through loading windows and then it suddenly restarts. When I get the boot menu, I tell it to start normally or start with bootlog.txt. Then it says Divide error... If i shut the computer off from the back and let it sit a few mins, then it starts up fine. Am I correct in assuming that my cpu is slowly dying?

It's a c566@850, 1.75v BTW...

try setting it back to factory default for a few hours then restore it to its overclocked state

generally a CPU is good or bad........there is no grey area. I'd guess it's data corruption or ME gone foul. Try restoring it back a couple days/weeks and see if it improves?

Another possibility is the weather. Is it unusually hot in your area? I would check you temps and see if you are over heating.

a cpu cant BE dying.... it just dies...
seems to me there's something else wrong (maybe mem settings????????)

try booting your pc in safest settings (cpu on default speed, ram on cas 3 etc) and see what it does.

good luck

Back