• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I thought OEM versions of Windows were keyed to the Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrJack55

Registered
It's either they aren't, or my computer is magical. Strangest thing, I've upgraded this computer twice now. Starting with XP, then Vista, then to 7 64-bit. The original was an OEM pack I got from Fry's when I first built the system. After running 7 for a few months, my motherboard died and needed to be replaced. Not wanting to pay an extra hundred bucks for a new license, I booted up with the original hard drive and OEM Windows. Well, it worked! After doing an online authorization, it booted up just fine. Well then my motherboard died the next day and I had to return it. I got this Crosshair III, and same thing, worked like a charm, although I had to authenticate using the telephone system. I'm not upset, just a little surprised that it worked.

If it is keyed to the motherboard when you run OEM, apparantly somewhere along the way, my windows decided not to be an OEM version anymore.
:shock:

99% positive it's not "keyed" to the motherboard. But the OEM keys are hardware specific.

I'm not sure I follow exactly as to what the magical part is? :shrug:

99% positive it's not "keyed" to the motherboard. But the OEM keys are hardware specific.

I'm not sure I follow exactly as to what the magical part is? :shrug:

OEM Windows is tied to the motherboard. That's the hardware. Anything else you can replace.

The magical part was more of a figure of speech, a joke. Like puking rainbows and unicorns.

The OEM version isn't physically tied to the motherboard. You are supposed to get a new copy of Windows if you change motherboards.

The OEM version isn't physically tied to the motherboard. You are supposed to get a new copy of Windows if you change motherboards.

:/ "Physically"?

I mean when you activate an OEM version of Windows, it becomes "tied", not physically like in a bondage scene, but electronically through the boards serial number and other identifying factors.

My point of the thread was that I had an OEM version of XP, then upgraded to Vista, then to 7, to find my version of Windows tied to the motherboard that crapped out. I'm now effectively running a retail version. Almost as if by "magic".
:santa:

It could be that the Windows 7 triple license pack I picked up when they came out actually was considered a "Retail Package" and therefore upgraded my old OEM license, which even the Vista was actually OEM, to the current retail version.

That's the only thing I can think of, other than gnomes.

I've changed many motherboards and never had problems reactivating. By physically, I meant what you said "electronically through the boards serial number and other identifying factors." It seems more like the "honor system" to me.

I've changed many motherboards and never had problems reactivating. By physically, I meant what you said "electronically through the boards serial number and other identifying factors." It seems more like the "honor system" to me.

Interesting concept. I've gone through a lot of forums, even microsoft, and the EULA for OEM prohibits changing motherboards as Redmond sees that as moving Windows to a whole new computer.

If it really is just the honor system, they've got a good racket going. Like elephants that are so used to being chained, that even when the chain is no longer their, they still act as if they are restrained.

DrJack55 said:
...the EULA for OEM prohibits changing motherboards as Redmond sees that as moving Windows to a whole new computer.

This is correct, but they don't seem to really crack down on it...:shrug:

There is really no DRM other than the activation code. There is nothing stopping it from being installed on multiple computers at the same time. If the activation code is over-used, they only require you to call the automated activation line where they generate a new code for you to type. I'm not really sure why they do it they way they do, as there are so many loopholes. Oh, and on top of that, Microsoft fully supports pirated copies of Windows with system updates.

My experience is that as long as you do not do too many hardware changes then MS activation will not bite you, though it could also have something to do with your key sitting idle for awhile

Back in the day with a copy of XP home I had. After using the key more than 3 times the activator would not let you pass.

Therefor you had to call MS and explain your situation. Luckily they unlocked it for me to continue with the activation.

My experience is that as long as you do not do too many hardware changes then MS activation will not bite you, though it could also have something to do with your key sitting idle for awhile

I still think Bill Gates has a blood pact with demonic forces and has various "practitioners" working deep within the hallowed halls of Microsoft, throwing the bones to see who does, or does not get the sacred "Activation Key". Blood.. Red... Redmond... The connection is there :bday:

Oh, and on top of that, Microsoft fully supports pirated copies of Windows with system updates.

I think the idea there is to try to protect the image of Microsoft. Its bad PR to have viruses/bugs spread across Windows machines - even if they were stolen copies.
Just my thinking.

But the OEM keys are hardware specific.
IIRC, actual OEM keys are not hardware specific. Used many o' W7 OEM CDs on different virtual and physical hardware installs for deployment testing without any problems. Only snag is they won't activate after 3~5 times per CD. However, some OEMs mfgs do put in custom code/programs as part of the imaging process to verify if it's their hardware or not. That's the OEM, though, not Microsoft/W7.

Has this changed? (Curious if so, it'd be good to know)

OEM Windows is tied to the motherboard. That's the hardware. Anything else you can replace.
Mmm, sort of correct. It's not 'tied' in the sense (legality aside) that you can't use that OEM install CD on another piece of hardware. However, it is sort of tied in the sense that replacing the motherboard will trigger the re-activation of W7.

There is nothing stopping it from being installed on multiple computers at the same time. If the activation code is over-used, they only require you to call the automated activation line where they generate a new code for you to type.
Depending on how the OEM built out the CD, correct. Some restrict to their hardware, others don't. But this is still not Microsoft/W7, it's the OEM adding in their own validation prior to the re-image/re-install.
Regarding the activation code, also correct, but there are (unpublished, unverified) thresholds that will disallow activation past a certain point, depending on how many prior activations have occurred on a given key and the type of key in question. Just to clarify for those curious, it's not a new key that is generated, it's a challenge-response system that tells the computer it's "OK" to activate the key in question on the machine. Can't re-use it on any machine, even the one you're on, as it's a one-time (anti-replay attack) validation system.

Edit: OH NOES I didn't type it all! :p

Last edited:

its tied to your account at MS :bday:

The XP activations sytem was based on a HASH of the whole sets of hardware, not any one piece. different pieces of hardware have various quantities of importance to thier determining if you are " on a different system".
you could change various pieces without going over the quantity that would be percieved as being a totally different piece of hardware (computer).
OR
you could end up triggering the stupid thing because you GUT the hardware temporarily, and in the process of it working out the HASH the thing decides that you have changed everything.

but the key to surviving activations of any sort, is being a customer of thier stupid systems , when you have licences on record, they just turn you back on and ignore the fact that the activation system is worthless. if they cant find YOU as having forked over money $$$$, it will take more convincing.

and that is why i say its tied to "your account" :)

It cant be only tied to your motherboard, although it is given great importance, because what would you do if you have to fix/replace it, its still the same computer (sort-of).

heck everytime i re-arrange everything, and "adjust" drivers or even simply change 4 hard drives or something, my activation will flop, on a lot of software, but they got what they wanted My MONEY, so its a lot faster to get back again.

Last edited:
IIRC, actual OEM keys are not hardware specific. Used many o' W7 OEM CDs on different virtual and physical hardware installs for deployment testing without any problems. Only snag is they won't activate after 3~5 times per CD. However, some OEMs mfgs do put in custom code/programs as part of the imaging process to verify if it's their hardware or not. That's the OEM, though, not Microsoft/W7.

Has this changed? (Curious if so, it'd be good to know)

Yeah you are right.

Basically like you said....

If you were to get an OEM copy of Windows apart from a Brand Name PC you can use the License Key up to 5 times (Win7) on unique machines until it locks out.

But, if you get a Brand Name computer the License key you get along with the computer is typically only for that specific PC.

Sometimes even the key is loaded into the recovery disk itself. I only know that because we ordered a few HP machines for the office.

:thup:

OEM OS' use specific "system ID's" which is uses to tie your copy of windows to that system. You can no doubt install that OEM copy on other systems but the fact is that there are certain issues which arise from this, such as certain features being blocked out and random error messages. But really they only monitor how many times the OS is installed, how frequently and on what HW config.

Since you replaced your motherboard MS does give replacement product keys for certain situations. So if you like you can get a replacement key from MS for you new MB.

This is discussed on the forums once a month or so. OEM licenses are NOT tied to the motherboard. If you read the eula it states the license is tied to the "computer". So you can't outright move an OEM copy of windows to a new computer. But you can change individual components of your computer (including the motherboard).

Even if windows recognises it has been put in a second machine if it has all the drivers it will boot but not be activated. As I found out sticking my laptops hdd with Vista on it into my desktop.

Back