• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I thought Tbreds were factory unlocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8440

I could swear I read that several times. Am I not remembering right? I just got my Tbred B 2100 and Asus a7n8x board from newegg. The L1 bridges are covered by a sticker I'm reluctant to remove until I know for sure that I won't void my warranty. I haven't installed any of it, and probably won't for several days. I want to know if I'll have to do surgery on the cpu before I try to install it.

Ok, that's good. But, why do I see unlocking how-to's directed at Tbreds?

I think maybe because not all boards have the ability to unlock the Chip....so they have to do it by hand. Yours does though.

because on some boards, yours is one i think, you need to mod the chip for lower multis, and possibly for the higher ones as well, some boards wont let you change out of the 13 multi. but no need to remove the sticker just for L1s as there are closed

all nforce2 boards unlock the chip automatically. for other boards, you have to unlock it manually to gain access to other multipliers.

Ok, so I can access all multipliers without doing anything to the chip, including the sub-13 multipliers?

to unlock the chip, the board needs to be able to access the 5 bit FID. my KD7 can do it, all the nforce2 boards can........it should say on the boards info site.

amd chips are locked by default. a throughbred will be unlocked if it is put into a nforce2 motherboard. that is SUPPOSED to unlock the multipliers under 13. to unlock a throughbred by hand, you dont cross the l1's. i think its one of the l5's, but dont quote me on that. a quick search should answer that for you.

not all nforce2 boards can adjust all multis from 5-22. and no board UNLOCKS the chip, it comes unlocked, some boards just cant read the high/low setting on the multi. all of the tbreds are unlocked, some of the tbirds were, but afaik none of the palaminos were factory unlocked

to get the lower multis, you connect a bridge, last l3 i think. and a 1700 tbred will be able to change multi up to 12.5 in any mobo with working multiplier adjustment that supports a tbred, my kt133a works fine at 12.5x143. i also have up to 12.5 multi on my kt333 board and *most* kt400 boards can run from 5-22 as they can read the fifth multiplier bit for high/low

on my 2100+, i knew it was unlocked.. but my mobo could only access the 13+ multipliers.... until i did the wire trick on the cpu socket... i get the 12.5 and below... =) if i wanted the higher ones.. just have to remove the wire... dats all.. =p

Back