• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I turn on my pc, it then shuts down, then starts back up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

So since messing with some BIOS settings while overclocking my pc does a weird thing. If I turn it completely off or unplug it when it starts up it will turn on then after 2-3 seconds it turns off, then turns back on again and stays on. Q Code says 40 instead of the usual A0. Does this have to do with c-states? Overclock runs perfect and temps are 70c max when gaming and round 80c max during stress testing. Starting to think my OC might not be as stable as I thought but the pc only does this when starting from a complete shutdown.

Save your OC profile, revert back to optimised defaults in the bios and run those as you would with the OC. See if the behaviour remains. If it does, it's something else likely. If it doesn't do it anymore, it's related to your OC. Probably the easiest way to determine if the issue lies with the OC.

Yes it is bad OC I had same issue. Turned to be lack of vcore and had to revert LLC to "Auto". Do as they said above

As soon as I read the first post, I thought to myself, bet he has an Asus MB. Yep, he does. No worries, all of my Asus motherboards have done that. Not every time though and some BIOS versions are worse than others. The first few times it did it to me, it worried me.

So since messing with some BIOS settings while overclocking my pc does a weird thing. If I turn it completely off or unplug it when it starts up it will turn on then after 2-3 seconds it turns off, then turns back on again and stays on. Q Code says 40 instead of the usual A0. Does this have to do with c-states? Overclock runs perfect and temps are 70c max when gaming and round 80c max during stress testing. Starting to think my OC might not be as stable as I thought but the pc only does this when starting from a complete shutdown.

mine has always done this with an overclock, dunno why.. when it comes up the overclock is still there so idk i just ignore it lol. the higher i clock this chip the worse it is, at 4.9 it would soemtimes do the 2-3 second reboot 10 times before finally booting and was 100% stable folding 24/7 and gaming. i remember something about a cold boot issue being mentioned back in the day (i know ln2 and dice but this is different)

I will try what you guys have said. Also, when the pc does this and I restart, it doesn't do this and q code is A0 like normal. But I will do some fiddlin with it tonight.

Wagex, now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember something about a cold boot bug or something like that. One of my last Abit boards did that too.

This particular rig does something similar: At first when I started to overclock, I go into bios, set my settings, click save and reboot. It then restarts..hangs for a few seconds, black screen, restarts, hangs..then it gets to desktop. I check my oc'ed settings with CpuZ and sure enough the oc'ed settings I set in the bios are shown. Craziest behavior with this new setup. Took a while to dial everything in because of it, but then I saved my settings in a profile in the bios. I also hooked up a reset bios custom switch (since this board doesn't have one, which I don't understand why not :rolleyes:) incase I need to clear the bios. I do also notice that when I go back into the bios and go to my saved profile, reboot, it hangs again for a few seconds before it gets into desktop. After this initial quirk, it reboots like normal.

Me thinks that's the way these new bioses/board work when it's re-adjusting the settings again. :shrug:

Ok, so the pc does not do this in stock. I then set it to my saved profile and it wasn't right. It wasn't how I set it. So I set everything manually back to where the settings were overclocked before. Now the pc isn't doing it anymore. Weird.
Vcore is set on manual at 1.245, LLC is set to 5, everything else is basically XMP.

Last edited:
Back