• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want a better CPU fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joes_Morgue

Registered
Right now, I am running standard cooling on my system. PSU, back of case, and CPU.

My CPU fan is too loud.

I am running a 70MM Foxcomm, model [In bold] PVA070F12H with smaller text under it [Not bold] it says -M01-AB

I want a quieter fan that HOPEFULLY has a higher airflow to put on the heatsink that came with the CPU.

Money is VERY tight, but this is something I'd like to take care of.

Converting to liquid is NOT out of the question, but the cost scares me now.

Any advice?

Ok, if you want higher CFMs but with less noise, then your best bet would be to go with a larger sized fan, then use a reducer adapter like so:

http://www.svc.com/fanad80to60.html

Then you just get the larger fan like a 90mm or better yet a 120mm. This will give you the airflow you want without all the racket. Be advised tho it will NOT be entirely silent, but it will be quieter than what you currently have.

The fan that comes with the FX-8150 sits inside the heat sink and locked down by a plastic cover, [no screws even] so an adapter would not work

If your case is 8" wide I can recommend some good air coolers. As Neb said, you have no choice to get a better cooler. The area of fins matter a lot, and the stock cooler has very little.

AIO watercooling (prebuilt not work, just install and most are junk) is easy but your case scares me, it's a Compaq and usually not worth the trouble to start with any custom cooling. Prolly won't hold any AIO watercooling worth the effort to but, and for sure over $100. Real watercooling? Lot's more.

OK. I tooks a look at the 212+, and I kinda like. At 6.25 inches tall, and a 6.5 inch wide case, I worry...

Heat is NOT an issue [except when the fins get a layer of stuff on them] that I have had to worry about. [Yet] After running for about 8 months, about 1/3 of the fins were covered with a layer of dust, and the fan ran on high if the computer was on. After a month, I cleaned it again, and I could see it starting to build up.

If I go water, I'd want to go Amazon or MicroCenter.

If I stayed with 70MM, what if I went with two quiet ones stacked on top of each other?

Ok here we go:

1) You have a compaq case- Get a better case with more room!
2) Dust is normal- Keep a can of air handy and stay ontop of it.
3) Stacking fans will not work. You'll either get negative airflow
and it will just overheat or bad turbulence and it'll rattle the pc apart.

You're very limited in what heatsink or type of cooling you can use because of the space limitations. Conumdrum stated this if you decide to go with an All-In-One water cooler (AIO) like Corsair H60/H80.

Amazon or Microcenter for watercooling? Then no watercooling for you.

H60/H80 is still as good as an air cooler. And Air coolers don't break.

OP: Get a new case and a Hyper 212 EVO.

Ok here we go:

1) You have a compaq case- Get a better case with more room!
2) Dust is normal- Keep a can of air handy and stay ontop of it.
3) Stacking fans will not work. You'll either get negative airflow
and it will just overheat or bad turbulence and it'll rattle the pc apart.

You're very limited in what heatsink or type of cooling you can use because of the space limitations. Conumdrum stated this if you decide to go with an All-In-One water cooler (AIO) like Corsair H60/H80.

1 & 3) Not having money sucks!

2) Would that work? I have been removing the fan and taking a toothbrush to it. Slow, annoying, last time I did that, I had so many side projects come up [not all computer related] that my kids got home from school[s?] and I haven't even touched it yet.

Are either of those coolers upgradeable, or is it a replace only thing?

Last edited:
Instead of disposable cans of compressed air, use an air compressor or bicycle pump. Much cheaper in the long run. You don't need anything too special - a $10 Walmart bicycle pump or $60 Harbor Freight air compressor works great. (The air compressor is also useful for checking tire pressures, BTW.)

Getting a new case is pretty much vital if you want a bigger HSF. I have an NZXT Tempest EVO which is a pretty big Mid tower and my Phanteks PH-TC14PE still just barely fits. It's extremely quiet and keeps my CPU at low temps.

Or instead of buying a new case, take the opportunity to learn case modding. Cut a hole in the side panel for the heatsink and then find some way to make it look nice. If the hole is neat and clean, you might not even need to do anything else.

How do you propose that with a hole in his side panel?
If the edges are nice and clean, the heatsink sticking out could be considered a "feature". Or maybe he could install a cheap glass (or clear plastic) bowl as a window. Or add a monitor mount to the side panel so that the monitor obscures the hole.

Corsair 200r is usually pretty cheap.. 50 bucks on Amazon. Or cooler master n200. Apart from diy a new case really is your best bet first. Then the hyper 212 evo as others have stated.

Could be other option.. I'm on mobile not sure if that turns up right. The Arctic cooling alpine 64 amd cooler. Should be quiet enough and sufficient for that CPU? Could be a cheap low profile option.

The cooler master tx3/tx3 evo is another option. Usually around 20 bucks. A lot shorter than the 212 evo.

Last edited:
So, how about this, since he's got a narrow case, get a 92mm cooler.

My Xigmatek Loki does a heck of a job, and its only ~$30.

He could get a decent top down cooler. That would allow him 120 mm fan usage and still fit in his case. Though modding the case for air flow may still be a requirement if the side panel is solid.

Z

Back