• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to overclock but need a guide to do so

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

melancholyx3

Hello,

I want to overclock my rig (first one i ever built) but I have no experience in overclocking and would need some help with it.

specs:
cpu: amd fx-4100 @ 3.6 stock
motherboard: gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P
ram: 4gb (will be getting 8gb soon)
video card: Radeon HD 6670 1GB
case: NZXT Source 210
psu: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W

1. That motherboard is not the sturdiest board for FX processor overclocking. You can get what you can get but that will not be the large numbers users get on hardier motherboards.

2. If you do not have most excellent air-flow in and out of the case and do not have some form of good aftermarket cooler like a CoolerMaster 212 EVO, then again your overclock will be limited.

Maybe in the end you will find that 4.2Ghz is the most you may see overclock wise. NO one can say what you will see in the end. Only testing at your end will provide that actual answer.

Bulldozer or PileDriver cpus are so d*mn near alike, the average user will never see the difference until actual use against a known timed application. So the setup is the same only the names have changed. Oh yes on average PileDrive processors are some 10 to 15% more robust.

Bulldozer OC Guide!
Everything you need to overclock bulldozer properly.

I actually have a CoolerMaster 212 EVO but it's currently at my house and I'm dorming right now. I will probably be setting it up once I get back. By overclocking from 3.6 ghz to maybe 4.2 ghz, is .6 ghz gonna affect anything or change anything? Also, what is the difference between overclocking my cpu and my gpu? Which one would be preferable for gaming?

Last edited:
It will make certain things run faster, sure. Its akin to upgrading your motor in your car for a race...

The difference between o/c your CPU and GPU is just that. One is the CPU and the other a video card. The methods are quite different with a GPU being a ton easier to overclock. For gaming, the videocard would show more gains than your CPU.

Would you recommend me to overclock my cpu or my gpu or both for just gaming and streaming games?

Back