• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I was forced to work with Win 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
First off - I do not like Windows 8. Performance is fine, what it has up front is fine...

So what I have found is if you actually take the time to set up the start screen with all of the stuff you had on your start menu button you do not get slowed down as much.

Still can't wait for 8.1 and then I have to set the registry up all over again:(

Shot of my desktop

desktop.jpg

Yeah I am dual booting on mine to get a feel for it.

I don't mind windows 8 at all, I don't know anything technical about it cause I just game, but I have no problems with the interface because I can just use the desktop virtually normal.

Only problem I've really found was today I set up my grandpas bargain dell pc and got a little upset when I couldn't put a shortcut from the games store onto the desktop, it was start menu only and couldn't search for the game. That seriously bothered me. I don't like being forced out of what i'm used to, task bar and desktop, that's all I use. For me I don't even use the other stuff, just think the start menu and new bars just look cooler.

I tried it for about a month, wasn't to bad but I did use a utility to put the old start menu back. The desktop mode apps and the new start screen apps kinda made the computer feel like it was broken into two different computers. Internet explorer on one side was different than on the other, although I use Chrome anyway so that wasn't a big deal.

Had an odd problem with the USB3 driver causing a bluescreen on my ASRock Extreme4, finally had to go back to Windows 7 because of that.

I don't mind windows 8 at all, I don't know anything technical about it cause I just game, but I have no problems with the interface because I can just use the desktop virtually normal.

Only problem I've really found was today I set up my grandpas bargain dell pc and got a little upset when I couldn't put a shortcut from the games store onto the desktop, it was start menu only and couldn't search for the game. That seriously bothered me. I don't like being forced out of what i'm used to, task bar and desktop, that's all I use. For me I don't even use the other stuff, just think the start menu and new bars just look cooler.

I tried it for about a month, wasn't to bad but I did use a utility to put the old start menu back. The desktop mode apps and the new start screen apps kinda made the computer feel like it was broken into two different computers. Internet explorer on one side was different than on the other, although I use Chrome anyway so that wasn't a big deal.

Had an odd problem with the USB3 driver causing a bluescreen on my ASRock Extreme4, finally had to go back to Windows 7 because of that.

Yeah. I can use it and though I prefer 7, Vista, XP, 98 and DOS I can deal with it because it is not as bad as ME or 95. It seems to be a very solid build, a little quicker after you set your cacheing in the registry and the like.

First off - I do not like Windows 8.

If you do not like Windows 8, then install Classic Shell which makes your Windows 8 look like Windows 7 from the moment you boot in. You can always use the option to go to Metro with SHIFT + Start Menu Button.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/

Here are some start buttons:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735120

Windows 8.1 should update over 8 w/o need to reinstall anything and will not bring any major changes as far as things you like/dislike. The Start Button on 8.1 will not be the good all Start Button, it is designed to just send you back to Metro.

If you do not like Windows 8, then install Classic Shell which makes your Windows 8 look like Windows 7 from the moment you boot in. You can always use the option to go to Metro with SHIFT + Start Menu Button.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/

Here are some start buttons:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735120

Windows 8.1 should update over 8 w/o need to reinstall anything and will not bring any major changes as far as things you like/dislike. The Start Button on 8.1 will not be the good all Start Button, it is designed to just send you back to Metro.

Thanks but I can not do that. I am having to support people and I am not going to be able to change their systems.

Mine is dual boot so I can dump 8 to seven any time i need to be efficient; though, there is not that much time wasted after you get things set up.

Back